cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from SUP 2.1.3 to SMP 2.3 or 3.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

Now i am using SUP 2.1.3 OData SDK applications. I want to migrate SUP 2.1.3 to SMP 2.3.or 3.0. For that I need some clarifications. Please help me on this.

• What is the migration involved on server side
    1. SMP side
    2. GW side
  • What is the migration involved on client side (if any) - BB, iOS, Android for migrating OData
    1. If there is effort involved, is there a migration tool ?
    2. Can we start using jSON instead of XML to speed up data processing

Thanks & Regards,

Nithya M

Message was edited by: Michael Appleby

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

From SUP 2.1.3 to 2.3 Migration, first you have to migrate to SUP 2.2 and then SMP 2.3.

For SUP 2.x to SMP 3.0 migration , i will suggest you to look at this document.

container topicMigration

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful to me. But still I have some quires. I have one OData application in SUP 2.1.3 for BB, Android, and IOS devices. I want to migrate my app to SMP 2.3 for all the 3 types of devices.

• What should I do to migrate to SMP 2.3?
  • Can I use REST API application in stead of OData application?
  • If yes, can I use REST API for all the 3 types of devices?
  • If no, should I migrate to SUP 2.2 OData libraries?
  • Any reference doc or tutorials available?

Thanks & Regards,

Nithya M

sujith_prathap
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Angelin,

What should I do to migrate to SMP 2.3?

The SMP 2.3 libraries have class names that have been refactored from the older 2.1.3 libraries. So, i am guessing that that would take some effort for migration. (I found that the LiteSUP keyword has been removed in most cases.)

Can I use REST API application in stead of OData application?

I am guessing you are reffering to  the cases where you are making requests and responses. In these cases the Connectivity library and its classes can be used be it for OData or REST API. They are used solely for request and responses it should not matter which type of service you use.

If yes, can I use REST API for all the 3 types of devices?

Yes, that is true. I am not sure if the support for BB is there or not, though.

If no, should I migrate to SUP 2.2 OData libraries?
You could do this for BB and see if it helps you. But, I think that the 2.1.3 libraries should also help you make REST calls ideally.

Any reference doc or tutorials available?

Sry, I haven't found any.

Best Regards,

Sujith

sujith_prathap
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the migration involved on client side (if any) - BB, iOS, Android for migrating OData

1. If there is effort involved, is there a migration tool ?

Existing apps will continue to work with a new server. If you would want to migrate an app to make use of the latest libraries then you would have to make changes on the code side and replace existing libraries with the new apps.

If you are using existing apps the you would have to download the latest app for the store.

Can we start using jSON instead of XML to speed up data processing?

Yes you can do that. I have noticed that there is  performance of more than 100% in the parsing when you switch to the JSON while parsing.

Best Regards,

Sujith

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can migrate your application from 2.1.3 without much effort since the server components are similar and no major change is made in SMP 2.3 when compared to 2.1.3 from SUP stand point.

But in SMP 3 SAP dropped the proprietary solutions used in SUP and came up with standard solutions.Ex. Standardization of  protocols. So migration effort will be high from 2.x to 3, More information you can get here,

Details regarding migration to SMP 2.3 can find here, http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc01912.0230/doc/html/mqu13...

-Midhun VP