cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afaria Email Access Control, BYOD and Generic Android Devices

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

We are presently in the process of expanding Afaria to personally owned mobile devices (BYOD) and implementing Local Email Access Controls via the Exchange Powershell Cmdlets available in Afaria 7 SP3.  From an MS Exchange Perspective, we are implementing by creating Device Access Rules based on Device Type to quarantine devices and allow Afaria to determine which devices should have access to Email.

This is working very well for iOS based devices and Samsung AES capable devices.  However, for the more generic device types like HTC, Huawei, LG and Sony, the Access Policy State shows "Blocked" although the Device Compliance State shows "Compliant".

As we continue to implement the Device Access Rules in Exchange, I fear these generic devices will be blocked from receiving email even through the compliance state is "Compliant" because the Access Policy is incorrectly being set to Blocked.

Has anyone attempted implementing local access control for Email using the Powershell Cmdlets for generic android devices where the Access Policy State was properly set to "Allowed"?  Again, this works as expected for iOS and Samsung AES devices.

Thanks,

Justin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not sure but what i think, According to me ISAPI filter will not work on generic android device it will work only for AES2 and IOS device.

For Generic device Active sync cannot be managed by Afaria .

In that case for generic device if you want to manage with ISAPI filter you need to install NITRODESK Client on Generic device and later it will be managed by ISAPI filter.

After installing the Nitrodesk on generic device. device will get register on device.xml and mail will received on device

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chetan,

Thank you for your response.  In our scenario, we are not using the ISAPI filter, rather a local implementation of the PowerShell cmdlets from the MS Exchange 365 option available after Afaria 7 SP3 HF6. 

But, I wonder if what you're saying may still be true in that managing the EAS settings through NitroDesk may still be the only available option to manage email configuration on generic android devices.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes mail feature which you are working can be handle with NITRODESK for Generic android device

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I was also facing the same issue to push the Email policy for O-365 accounts of my organization for the generic devices. And so we used to do a manual email configuration on these kind of devices

Now if I implement the access control policies on these devices where the emails have been configured manually but are in afaria enviroment can you tell me what could be the expected Outcome as i dont have any generic android with me now.

Even when i did the manual email configuration on a Sansung S3 device and then enrolled it in afaria it still allowed the emails to sync.

Can somebody tell me why is this behavior happening

Thanks Team In Advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Access policy will work only for those device managed by Afaria .

I will suggest you for generic device configured for Nitrodesk or Touchdown

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Praveen1
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Afaria can apply access policy on the devices where it has setup the email policy. That is the devices email config should have been pushed by Afaria, in that case you can take control of blocking and unblocking using Afaria.

If the device doesn't have the required MDM API's in case of many non-Samsung devices then you would need a third party app to configure email on those devices. Nitrodesk Touchdown is one of the app which can be used to configure email using Afaria on non-Samsung devices.

Regards,

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Justin,

We do see the same for non-AES Android devices...

Do you have any luck in solving this ?

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

We still have not found any "resolution" though a workaround using Nitrodesk Touchdown may be an alternative.  We have not fully explored the capabilities of touchdown as we prefer to stick with the native apps that our user base is used to, so I'm not sure how viable this option would be for us.

I'm curious - are you using the ISAPI implementation or using the MS Exchange 365 configuration with the PowerShell Cmdlets?

Justin