cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI - Configure all CCs max retry and interval. What happen after max retry?

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

How to configure outbound file communication channel max retry and interval all at once? Because I can see the configuration is at the Communication Channel monitoring in the Runtime Workbench.

I'm planning to change the max retry to 10 with interval of 10 minutes? Could this bring any concern? Because the default configuration is only 3 with 5 minutes interval.

What actually happen after the max retry is reached and the interface is still error (maybe because of connection error)? 

Because in my case actually we have some messages that is in error because the FTP server has a problem for 3 hours at Jan 24th, 2014. But then suddenly at Jan 27th, 2014 those messages are sent successfully to the FTP, but seeing at the audit log, no trace of PI trying to re-send the message. The audit log stops at the third try and in the audit log the message status is in NDLV. But actually the message is successfully sent.

Why is the audit log is not updated when PI has successfully sent the message after the max try reached and the message is still in error?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm planning to change the max retry to 10 with interval of 10 minutes? Could this bring any concern? Because the default configuration is only 3 with 5 minutes interval.

I don't think it'll have impact. But before you change try to evaluate if that is really required.

If you know the downtimes of your FTP server then it's better to schedule your channel to stop during that using ATP(Availability time planning)

Once the schedule is done, your channel will start and messages will get processed automatically.

What actually happen after the max retry is reached and the interface is still error (maybe because of connection error)? 

If the connection is fine then it'll get processed else it'll be in System Error state.

Why is the audit log is not updated when PI has successfully sent the message after the max try reached and the message is still in error?

From >7.1 onwards audit log wont be available for successfull messages. If you need then you need to enable this paramter. Check the below blog.

http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2009/03/08/pi-71-af-messaging-system-audit-l...

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hareesh,

Thank you for the reply. Nice information about the ATP.

What I see from the evidence is that, I have some successful messages in the adapter engine but then after going to the Details and see the audit log. The last entry of the message is setting the message status to NDLV which I would expect entries of the information that PI tried to re-send the message again and the last entry is the message status is set to DLVD.

I believe that the file has been created and this is a matter of the adapter audit log. But is this a normal behavior for successful log message in the cache? Because it will be like the audit log is deleted partially from the cache for a single message (only the successful entries instead of all log is deleted at once for a single message).

I guess the closes logic I can get is that because the message was in error since 24th Jan, and the message was executed successfully in 27th Jan. And the audit log cache is cleared in a LRU (least recently used) way, I guess when the message was executed successfully, the audit log is cleared right after because PI thinks the message is from 3 days ago so they are most recently used compared to other messages. The error audit log is not cleared because they are persisted. Is that correct?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi -

AFAIK - As i mentioned earlier the log for successful messages gets deleted unless you enable the parameter in NWA.

In your case  i believe, you should be able to find the audit log only till the message set to NDLV status,though they successfully processed later.

Precisely the audit log will never be cleaned for failed messages.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thank you for the replies.

Is there a way to change the max retry and interval configuration once for all outbound File CCs? Because changing the setting at the Communication Channel monitoring in RWB is only for 1 CC at a time.

If the max retry is reached and the message is still in error. So, the message will be put in the System Error state. For this type of message, will there be any chance for PI to automatically send the message again or there will be a need for manual intervention by the admin to re-send the message?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Refer Below blog and check the reply from Mark Smyth

Regards,

Mastan

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi,

>>>I'm planning to change the max retry to 10 with interval of 10 minutes? Could this bring any concern? Because the default configuration is only 3 with 5 minutes interval.

No concerns, you can configure

- It will try the max retry , if still error exists , it will throw the error

Cheers

Agasthuri

Former Member
0 Kudos
Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

by default channel will try to deliever the message 3 times in 5 min interval and then if not delivered set the status as NDLV in communication channel. You can edit that setting.

Please check the SAP Note 821267.

audit log should update in RWB once the message is delivered. Please check java log setting in NWA.

regards,

Harish