cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP License after copyback

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have built a test system from a copyback of our DEV system so I can test applying the latest support packs, before doing them on our proper landscape.

The test system has the same SID as our DEV system, but is on a different server, I installed a temp license, but then had to go working away for a few weeks, when I returned the temp license had expired, I can get on as SAP* but no other user as expected.

I requested a new license for the test system from SAPNET, but when I registered the test system, it has a different system number to the DEV system, so the license is invalid when I try to use it , the license information is all the same for the test system, apart from the HARDWARE key has changed, do I have to change the hardware key registered on SAPNET for our proper DEV system, to get a valid license for the new test system?

We are running ECC5 on MS/SQL.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should not have same SID for one installation number in you landscape. You can not use the same installation number for same SIDs (more than one) but in your case two different hardware (same SID) can you please rename the QA SID to different name. another alternative is generate the license key for your currently installed DEV system and import it. it has to work.

Cheers,

-Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil

The reason I wanted to keep the same SID is that I am testing applying support packs to the DEV environment, so I wanted TADIR entries etc to be the same as the DEV system, we are halfway through a european implementation, so access to DEV downtime is limited, so I wanted to apply support packs to a test environment not in the TMS landscape, so i could get an idea on timings and SPAU/SPDD problems before applying the support packages to the real landscape.

I thought the best way would be to generate a new license key for the current DEV system, after changing the Hardware key on SAPNET, I just wanted to make sure this would not affect the actual DEV system, invalidating the proper license, as I do not want the proper DEV system affected by licensing the new TEST system.

Once I've tested the support packs, I will be deleting the test system, as its on a borrowed server !!! so its just a temporary change, I had hoped to do all this on the TEMP license, but as soon as it was built, I was sent to work elsewhere !!!

Paul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paul,

You can have different license keys for different hardware ids running with the same sid. This is extremely common in high availability systems where the system automatically fails over to different hardware in the event of hardware failure. Simply make a new license request in sapnet for your DEV system with the new hardware id. You can even install that license in your 'real' development system without causing problems, then if you ever wanted to make a fresh copy to the other server, you would not need to worry about the license.

Regards, Barry.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Barry

Yes, that is what I ended up doing, changing the Hardware key of the existing system on SAPNET and generating a new License Key based upon that, the license is now working successfully in the copy back test system.

In the past when I have done system copy backs, I have overwritten QA systems with Prod systems, so I just note the license details on QA before the copy back and re-enter them after the refresh/BDLS, the hardware key would not change in those circumstances.

Thanks.