Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Platform for Mobile Application Development

NooruBohra
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I want to create Mobile Application for SAP. I have read about Neptune, NW gateway + OData and zMob.

Which platform will be good. If you've used any of these platforms then please share you experience.

Regards,

Nooruddin Bohra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are many options now to mobile an enterprise. You need to choose a technology based on the requirement. Ex. Mobile device independent or specific platform, online application or offline application, cost, user management etc.

Apart from Neptune, NW gateway + OData and zMob there is a mobile platform from SAP called SAP Mobile platform that can helps to implement SSO, more security, user onboard mangement etc. Also you can consider SAPUI5 apps, the framework behind Fiori apps.

There is an interesting discussion existing on this, might helps you:

So what type of apps you are planning to develop.

- Midhun VP

NooruBohra
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Midhun,

I am planning to build a hybrid app that supports multiple platforms. The process of development should be easy i.e. I don't want any additional efforts to build the app apart from ABAP.
I have very less knowledge in JavaScript.
regards,
Nooruddin Bohra

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

In case of hybrid app (supports multiple platforms), you may go with SUP/SMP (SAP Mobile Platform) hybrid app development approach. In case of light weight app like purchase order approval, time sheet entry etc it is very easy to develop without much effort and same app can be deployed to different platforms as well.

You can check this link for more understanding:

Rgrds,

Jitendra

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you want a solution using ABAP you can try Neptune Software. The app will run in all major mobile platforms. Multiple platform support is possible only using web technologies (HTML, Javascript), if you don't want to use it means you can develop a mobile solution using Neptune.

As suggested by Jitendra Kansal Hybrid applications can be developed using the SAP mobile platform (SMP), which involves drag and drop. But to extend the features you have to write some basic javascript and html. Again, this solution using SMP will not be there in the future, so if you develop an app using this (Hybrid app in SMP) a migration must needed in the future (after the release of SMP version 3). SAPUI5 is the recommended approach by SAP to develop mobile app that supports multiple OS, for that you need a depth knowledge in javascript and html.

- Midhun VP

NooruBohra
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jitendra,

I found SMP a little complex and costly. Can you suggest any other technology.

Regards

NooruBohra
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Midhun,

Can you distinguish between zMob and Neptune.

Regards

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't have experience in both, to comment in detail about the difference between the two. I found Neptune interesting with SAPUI5 integration , an option to integrate with SMP cloud () and push notifications () etc.

Njål Stabell can give you more information on this.

- Midhun VP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I work for Neptune so I might be biased when answering this so I include who has created zMob so we keep this in the community spirit

zMob is an open source solution whereas Neptune Application Designer is an SAP Certified product that requires a license when used productively (It is free to install and try out on dev, test and QA systems).

Neptune is a Drag and Drop designer within your ABAP system for creating HTML5 applications that can be exported as Hybrid Apps for Android, iOS, WP and Blackberry. Also as mentioned there is an automatic integration with SMP if you wish to use that as a platform.

I am not an expert on zMob but I understand it automatically creates jQuery Mobile screens from your ABAP reports.

Neptune is a complete IDE with back-end data binding more like ABAP Webdynpro and the tool fully supports SAPUI5 with generation of json models, offline support etc.

Hope my answer gave you some insight and Jack can give you a better understanding of zMob.

BR

Njål

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there Nooruddin, and thanks Njål for including me in this thread.

I think the easiest way to understand how zMob can help with your scenario is to watch this short video:

zMob is most useful when you have a strong ABAP dev team with little knowledge of mobile programming and need to launch on multiple platforms.

zMob differs from other solutions in that you write a plain old ABAP report, defining parameters and a START-OF-SELECTION, and zMob translates the code into a mobile application. zMob links the parameters of the report to mobile input widgets, and passes the data a user enters back to the SAP system, running the start-of-selection as though the user were using the report from within SAP.

This results in a solution requiring no mobile programming knowledge, simply relying on the existing ABAP experience of your current team.

A lot more information can be found in this post:

Hope that helps, and if you have any questions specific to zMob then feel free to ask

Best regards,

Jack

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182645
Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

former_member182645
Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.