cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SRM-MDM Catalogs - without SRM?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a client currently using SRM 5.0 along with CCM 2.x for internal catalogs, punch out catalogs etc. They are evaluating an upgrade to the latest & greatest SRM 7x along with SRM-MDM for their catalog management before the SAP support runs out.

They are, however, also interested in evaluating whether they can simplify their landscape by utilizing the "Self Service Procurement" capabilities in ECC 6.6.

Nobody is under any illusions that the ECC Self Service functionality provides anywhere near the same level of functionality, analytics etc. But the thing is, their needs really are quite simple. Kind of feeling like they are crushing peanuts with a sledge hammer!

We have been playing with an SAP Demo system that uses NWBC against an ECC 6.6 system, and it is set up to query against various catalogs, including SRM-MDM for products and catalogs. Its not bad for what they need...

My questions:

Can SRM-MDM be purchased as a separate license to overall SRM licenses (and is there an SAP account exec who knows how )?

Can SRM-MDM be installed as a standalone catalog, without installing the larger SRM solution overall?

Are there other licensing considerations?

Bottom line is that ECC Self-Service Procurement in conjunction with SRM-MDM may be an OK option for these guys - but not if there is no net-reduction in their overall licensing costs.

Really appreciate any insight..

Cheers,

Shane

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

alejandro_jimenez2
Participant
0 Kudos

SRM-MDM dont exist. Really it is MDM CATALOG 3.0

You can buy this sap´s product with out SRM. Because MDM CATALOG is a simple repository into a database on Oracle (by example), and SAP give you a content with a repository created about the catalogs.

The front end for MDM CATALOG is a web service that run in JAVA SERVER. So you can conect ECC with MDM catalog. ECC consume this services. maybe you will need prepare any services or badi to consume this data (transfer from WEB services - to ECC)

tecnically you havent problem, but. i dont know if SAP have any consideration about the license.

In other hand, you can buy the MDM 7.0, is the solution from SAP to maintain the master data, MDM 7.0 (import,console, data manager, SYNDICATOR, PUBLISHER) is more robust that MDM3.0 (import,console, data manager)

When you have the MDM 7.0, you install the content to catalog, and ready, you have the repositroy ready to work by catalogs.

i share you a link with information about MDM-CATALOG.

SAP Library - SRM-MDM Catalog

SAP NetWeaver Master Data Management - Animation

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Alejandro for your answer. Your technical comments will  contribute towards the decision and clarifying the correct name definitely helps!

FYI, SAP also clarified for us that the MDM-Catalog is included in the ECC licensing (for this customer), regardless of whether they have SRM licensing in place.

Best Regards....

Shane

Answers (0)