Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cCTS for ChaRM

rayapudi_praveen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We have upgraded to SP10 and on the way to implement ChaRM with cCTS. We are trying to map the clusters to our landscape.

We got the first level of understanding from http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/20c1ba0c-8f32-3110-bfa0-9d1e57522...

We have a dual track landscape which is as below for production support:

Now how many clusters do we need to have for support?

This is answered by the "how to guide" as 7 and also we understand two different projects are required (this is coved in page 43 & 44 of how to doc.).

Can any one give more clarity on how to connect between the two projects as per page 44 in "how to guide", for the above landscape ?

And we also have a project track (orange box) which follows route of DEV - QAS - PPD - PRD and as part of cutover we have to update maintenance track with the project changes using ChaRM so how to go about this?

Need experts support.

Regards,

Praveen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

I am currently working on same landscape as yours.

You need one Maintenance project(BAU) & one Implementation project(Project).

Changes in  Maintenance track can be retofitted to Project track to keep track in sync while changes created in project track will move to entire landscape.

Also for cCTS you need to create 7 clusters for each system.

If you have any query then please let me know.

Regards,

Abhishek

rayapudi_praveen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Prakhar,

To debate more on this for better solution.

forget that i have 2 track and i have all 7 system in one track in that case will the above solution not work ?

If it workes in one track it will also works in 2 tracks as well becasue tracks are no where represented in SolMan its only our logical drawing in sequence. The only diff. could be there i may have created only one logical component and here i am creation more. But if you can see the bolg. there are several ways of mapping systems and logical componets.

Its not necessary that we follow every time only standard process or what ever is defined in some blog. or some docs. we have to gain knowledge and start using it based on the requirement.

Any way have started working towards this will keep posted on the developments.

Regards,

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

waw...that was some back n fourth discussion.. ..

So Praveen - how did u go about the solution ?

i wud guess the logical component will be on these lines:

System Role                Dev        Qua         Q2        Prd     Retrofit

Logical component 1 : DEV(P) - QAS(P) - PPD(P) - PRD       n/a   

Logical component 2 : DEV(M) - QAS(M) - PPD(M) - PRD - DEV(P)

with this config how will DEV(M), QAS(M) & PPD(M) receive changes from LC1 using the task list ?

rayapudi_praveen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sid,

Yes. you are correct.

Regards,

Praveen

rayapudi_praveen
Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

First cCTS is advance version of CTS and ChaRM is always dependent upon CTS but even with Central CTS the entire workflow for ChaRM or the functionality will remain the similar

means you use same transaction type SMCR, SMCG,SMMJ SMHF etc or same status workflow

as far as dual track is considered check the dolores blog which will help you to understand how charm support it in dual track

also below link

above will help you to understand the retrofit feature which is used by ChaRM to maintain consistency across multiple development

also to get more clarify about new enhancements refer below

Change Control Management Using Central Change and Transport Sys - SAP Solution Manager - SAP Librar...

feel free to ask if you still have doubt

Regards

Prakhar

rayapudi_praveen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prakash thanks for the quick reply.

I am aware of all these links. My prime focus is on cCTS we want to use the new feature of exchanging TR across the projects even after release. For this cCTS is required. pls. Share if you have some useful info. On this.

Thanks

Praveen

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen

please call me Prakhar not prakash.

Assigning transport requests from outside or released transport i hope you are talking about this

Assign Transport Requests - Change Request Management - SAP Library

Further if you can check more below

Change Control Management - SAP Solution Manager - SAP Library

Downgrade protection

Using the Downgrade Protection Assignment Block - Downgrade Protection - SAP Library

Selective import

Status-Dependent Import and Selective Import of Transport Requests

i hope above helps if not please provide screenshot where you struck error etc

Regards

Prakhar

rayapudi_praveen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Prakhar Thanks for correcting me on your name and Thanks for your reply.

If you can understand my requirement properly I want to understand how many clusters are required for the landscape diagram which I have given above. The clustering is a part of cCTS pls. refer the above link to understand how it works.

I am very clear on all the other areas like retrofit or status based selective imports or Transport of copies or whatever.

pls.reply only to the point i need, others will not help me.

Regards,

Praveen

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

I know the link because i have already set that up.

As it is mentioned in the guide, in you case you need to go for 7 clusters here

because if it is dual track with 5 system like below

Dev - QA - PRD

IMP - TST

then it would be 5 clusters

so in your case create 7 clusters 4 for your maintenance track and 3 for your implementation track

Logical component will be same like earlier

create 1 for maintenance track  and

1 logical for implementation track 

Regards

Prakhar

rayapudi_praveen
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Prakhar.

Even we also had the same view.

Regardind the second part of my question... we have a project track as well, after go live from project track we have to update maintenance track with same TR's(i know that this is called as cut over & after go live we have to update these systems & also read about this in 2 value releases per year- white paper) how to achieve this with ChaRM do you have any idea on this?

As of now we are planning to add all the maintenance track systems in implementation project logical component as test systems so that our implementation project task list will have all the systems & by click of a button all TRs can be moved to maintenance track as well.

Do you have any idea on this? What could be the flip side of this approach?

Regards

Praveen

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

basically you have to define Implementation Dev as retrofit system and then all the transports going to production from maintenance will be imported to Implementation landscape(Dev) via retrofit action

check below blogs to gain some more insights on retrofit

Change Request Management: Enhanced Retrofit functionality

Change Request Management scenario: Retrofit Functionality

hope this helps further.

Regards

Prakhar

rayapudi_praveen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Prakhar,

Thanks for the reply. If you can understand my question correctly now we are not discussing on Maintenance project. I have followed all the blogs and i am aware of this including enhanced retrofit.

pls. see my above reply which talks about the project track. To make it more clear i have created an implementation project for which ChaRM is activated (i am even aware of QGM but it will not suite our requirement and ChaRM is the right fit) and the logical components will be as below in the implementation project.

In the below P denoted project track system and M denoted maintenance track system.

System Role                Dev        Qua         Q2        Prd

Logical component 1 : DEV(P) - QAS(P) - PPD(P) - PRD

Logical component 2 :             - DEV (M)

Logical component 3 :             - QAS (M)

Logical component 4 :             - PPD (M)

Now after go-live or during go-live i will update all the maintenance systems also with new project transports.

Hope i am clear pls. reply if you have some idea on this.

Regards,

Praveen

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is the reason of creating logical components like above....none of the blogs which i have shared shows like this.

what is the source of information ......for creating logical component like this

can you share the SAP guide which tell you create logical component like above logical component 2,3 and 4?

rayapudi_praveen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prakhar,

what is the source of information ......for creating logical component like this

refer the below block which talks about the same in "2.How to work with target groups"

http://scn.sap.com/people/dolores.correa/blog/2009/07/22/change-request-management-scenario-usual-qu...

Is my requirement clear for you ?

May be you have not come across the requirement earlier...!!!

If my project go live is from project track then how the same TR's will get updated in maintenance Track ?

This activity is required to keep the systems in sync and also maintenance cannot happen from maintenance track if they are not in sync.

Now i am trying to do this from ChaRM by adding addation logical components.

see below diagram for better understanding. How does the  systems in red box get updated with project TR's ?

By having addational logical components i can have the systems in redbox in my task list and with click of a button i can update the same TR's there.

If you have worked in a scenario like this pls. give me the flip side of it.

Regards,

Praveen

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen

It seems you got misunderstood that blog

please read again target groups is for different scenario and not for dual track.or your scenario

secondly your query for updating implementation track is more of a Consulting question and has multiple ways of doing it which has to be consulted based upon the discussion with

customer

architect etc

otherwise how so many customer with dual track are able to do it in ..solman 7.0 or 7.1 etc because this is not new with chaRM

If possible please attend SAP Trainings,it will help you to understand basic concepts easily

All the best

Regards

Prakhar

rayapudi_praveen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Prakhar,

can you explain what your understanding on target groups ?

can you give me one possible solution on how we can achieve the cutover into maintenance track based on your experiance in SolMan ?

Thanks for the advice.

Can you let me know what course i should take up to get a solution for this ?

Regards,

Praveen