Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems when changing a Data Type in NWDS

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to maintain a Data Type in the Enterprise Service Repository in NWDS. I am finding that it is impossible to insert a new element between two existing elements. For example say data type is as follows:

Node1

Element1

Element3

If I try to insert Element2 between Element1 and Element3 I get the following:

Node1

Element1

Element2

Element3

So Element2 is inserted as a child of Element1, and Element1 is changed to a complex type!!!! Is this a bug or feature? If the data type editor is so poor how is one expected to maintain a large data type? by going into the swing client?

What is going on? The editor also does not allow you to drag and drop an existing element to a new position in the data type.

Thanks

Che

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Che - True. I just tried and it didn't work. May be that is how it's designed.

But there is a kind of workaround.

select the element3 and change it to element 2 then create element 3.

else as you said swing client is always there

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hareesh,

OMG! that is not so great, I hope this is a bug. Your idea will work only if we want to insert an element one from last. Not if we need to insert an element anywhere near the middle. With large data types this feature (bug?) will be a great nuisance.

Does anyone else have any experience of this? Surely people must be using NWDS to manipulate data types?

Che

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Completly agree with you and there should've been /they should've provided such option.

If you are in such situation (where you really don't have access to swing client) then in the NWDS while creating the data type, there is a tab [Source(read only)].

Copy that into a note pad, change the elements order and save it as an XSD.

Import the xsd again into NWDS. it works..

I know this might not be the best/proper way but !!!!!!!

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hareesh,

Another good tip from you, thanks.

Tell me are you using NWDS to develop interfaces?

Che

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Che - Yes but still i'm not that comfortable with it

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hareesh,

Have you ever had occasion where an interface had to be developed in the Swing client because NWDS could not cope? Or can you do majority things in NWDS with minumium need to use swing client?

Che

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Che - Developed very few interfaces but i never felt the need..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Che,

Swing based client is not going to be obsolete so at least for ESR developments u can still use it as u were for lower versions of PI, but certainly for ID development like Mass VM, IFlows etc. u have to use NWDS.

But having said that, there are still few limitations in NWDS - ID perspective for instance u cannot use extended RD for idocs, u cannot delete SWCV entry while creating iflows - atleast till PI7.31 SP09 these points hold true, so in those cases u have to switch to swing based client or find other alternatives to do ur scenario.

So, IMO swing based client and NWDS should compliment each other and we can switch to anyone of them as per our needs...

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

Answers (0)