cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hetergenous Environment. Architecture for Sending ECC Product updates to external systems?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am from a non-SAP background and am looking to plan an integration layer between SAP ECC and outside using JMS Queues, where any updates to SAP side mean the relevant changes are sent as modifications/creations/deletes to the outside system asynchronously.

From 1,000ft I believe I require an IDOC mapping between the Product fields in Material Master and the XML I wish to process on the other side. I also need to write a client proxy that will extract the data? This will then either do the translation or pass to PI where a JMS adapter will send the message onto a Queue and out of the SAP side.

Is this accurate? Presently my chief queries are;

How do I go about creating the mapping?

What support is there in the SAP ecosystem for triggering messages based on data changes in ECC?

thanks

Joe

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Welcome to SAP World Joe.

Middleware is meant to enable handshake so you should avoid any complex mappings here. Ofcourse it facilitates many functions to handle conversions but you should limit them to basic thigs.

you can find various mapping concepts here -

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/XI/Mapping+Concepts+in+SAP+XI

What support is there in the SAP ecosystem for triggering messages based on data changes in ECC?

You can schedule your reports to trigger the messages.

Just have a look into the below thread for more information on this

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1948910

Sample scnearios : JMS

http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2013/05/22/mdm-to-file-and-jms-ico-one-sende...

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/XI/JMS+Webservice+JMS

You can find many more on SCN

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

In my opinion , the first step would be to sit with 3rd Party  technical  team (in your case JMS receiver) and decide on what fields they need .

Generally start of any development is creation of functional specs(gives functional overview on what need to be achived by the interface) and technical specs(underlines the technical touch points, Mapping sheet).

So you will have the receiver structure , then back to your questions on sender side you can use proxy or idoc.

Proxy- Using proxy , you will have flexibility to use only those fields which are required by target system  mapping can be made simpler ,infact you can use same structure as target requirement (make the structure generic).you can find a walkthrough

IDOC - using idoc will give you advantage to use standard functionality , like in your case MATMAS idoc can be used.IDOC structures are not readable , so you would need to refer the functinal names by checking the tehcnical documentation of IDOC and create a mapping sheet.

a walkthrough

Regards

Srinivas

Muniyappan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

mapping totally depends on the business requirement.

End of the day we will be dealing with sender xml and receiver xml. if you need any transformation between source and target you can do that with help of mapping in ESR. it could be field level or node level.

even you can make use of java and xslt in the mapping.

Regards,

Muniyappan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would suggest you to go with Idoc, so u can make use of change pointers and as soon as there is any data change at field level then ur outbund idoc will be triggered - so at high level it's a configuration.

In case u want to use proxy, then u have to schedule it as a job - coding will be needed.

>>U can identify if there is any integration logic is involved like truncation of source field values, concatenation, date format conversion, value list etc. and depending upon that create a graphical mapping (so u have to discuss the same with functional folks before doing any mapping) to convert SAP format data into XML and then eventually using JMS adapter send it to queues.

>>What support is there in the SAP ecosystem for triggering messages based on data changes in ECC?

Answered above.

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the details gents. Change Pointers for updates, but what about initial data extract and load? How would this be accomplished?

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

Intial data load is one time activity which needs to perform manually from ECC. you need to run program in ECC to extract the intial data. Please refer the below link for detail.

Detail about change pointer

Change Pointer (Master Data Distribution) (SAP Library - IDoc Interface/ALE)

Discussion on intial data load

Change Pointers,Idoc | SCN

regards,

Harish