cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy - Refresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I am just about to start a system refresh from our ECC PROD system to our ECC QA.

I have been looking at the options available ( we currently use a 3rd party tool for our backups).

I have never done one of these before so please bear with me.

From what I have seen on SDN there are basically two options available to me. I'll be brief:

1) Restore the production database to the QA database from the latest offline backup

using the brrestore command.

2) Manually copy all datafiles from PROD to QA. Create new control file with new path to QA.

Then run recover database using backup controlfile until cancel

I suppose there is no right or wrong way. Just wondering what the pro's and con's are of each

of the above options are?

Many thanks

Andy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

1) Restore the production database to the QA database from the latest offline backup using the brrestore command.

This is one of the standard practices.

2) Manually copy all datafiles from PROD to QA. Create new control file with new path to QA. Then run recover database using backup controlfile until cancel

Are you going to manually copy the datafile from the PRD system to the QUA system when the system is running ? Then this will not work. You need to either put the database in backup mode or shut it down.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello RB,

If using option 2) then yes I would shut it down before copying all the datafiles.

Just wondering what the real differences are? Most people suggest option1.

Would you always go with option1 unless there is no backup to use i.e. corrupt backup tape

this would then force you to use option 2

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Andy

Both can be called as offline backups without RMAN.

A classical TSM or Netbackup shuts down the database and backs up the database files to the backup server. Copying Oracle datafiles from the PRD system to the QUA system will take a long time and until that time the PRD should be down. If that is acceptable for business that you can.

If something goes wrong in between the copy then you need to kick start it again.

If the database size is relatively small then I would trigger a manual copy.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks RB as always.

Cheers

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

Please share some details regarding 3rd party backup software which you are using at your end.As in some 3rd party backup software's we've option of Redirected restore (With this option we need to change SID at 3rd party software with the SID for which we want to make copy.)

We can perform System copy with the use of offline backup and also with online backup.

Just create a trace file on the system from which you are going to use or that system (Primary) whose backup we'll use to perform restore on other.Just you need to create trace file by following command.

SQL>alter database backup controlfile to trace;

This command will create a trc file under ../saptrace dir and we need to modify the same and rename with control.sql which we need to execute on the other system to create control files.

Thanks,
Gaurav Rana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cheers Gaurav,

We use Commvault which in turn basically runs the BRTOOLS via the BACKINT.

I'm looking into the option they (Commvault) also provide.

Thanks

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

I suppose you are talking about Oracle database ??

2) will not work in case your PROD is up and running.

1) will even work with an online backup.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep it is an Oracle 11g database

Former Member
0 Kudos

In addition to my previous reply:

Restoring an online backup will require a new controlfile and a 'recover database' as well.

But this all has been explained a few million times ...