cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeneous system copy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

My company is taking backup of our PRD server for whole drivers like C:\, D:\, E:\, F:\.

Now i need to built a new system and restore the data, How do I replace the data? Where do I make sql script? What is the best & time saving procedure to make a new system with this backup?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys for your kind response, It was helpful.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

If your requirement is to create a new system with the backup of another system then you can either setup a new SAP system and then do the restore or take an export of the source system and create a new system with the import.

You have the option to do a backup and restore using the database specific tools or do an export and import of the system using sapinst.

You can follow the homogeneous system copy guide and the complete procedure is mentioned there.

As there is no indication to what the database is I cannot be specific here but the procedure is almost similar.

Regards

RB

ahmed_ibrahim2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HI Khuram ,

My company is taking backup of our PRD server for whole drivers like C:\, D:\, E:\, F:\.

Now i need to built a new system and restore the data,

actually there is many ways to achieving your aim

one of them is to perform homogeneous system copy which is might required more downtime during Export ,

it seems you already performed offline file system backup under windows OS , just restore your file system (including OS files system) backup to another test machine either physical machine or virtual

machine and change SID and host name by using Software Provisioning Manager

find the procedure how to change sap system SID from the following Blog

Best Regards

AhMeD

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

1. Best way is SAP Homogeneous system copy method, Export the Source system as per the system copy guide

2. Could you tell us the OS / DB details?

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

OS windows 2008 & DB oracle 11g

deeraj_shetty
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Khuram Shehzad,

I will try to address your issue with the help of below scenarios:

Note: Applicable to Solaris server and Oracle DB.

Scenario 1:

In order to test if backed up data is consistent, restore below mentioned file system data into sandbox(having same sid as PRD)

/oracle/SID/sapdata1

/oracle/SID/sapdata2

/oracle/SID/sapdata3

/oracle/SID/sapdata4

/oracle/SID/sapdata5

/oracle/SID/sapdata6

/oracle/SID/origlogA

/oracle/SID/origlogB

/oracle/SID/mirrlogA

/oracle/SID/mirrlogB

Later Open the database and start SAP.

Scenario 2:

If SID's are different in target and source system, please refer top below link.

Refer: http://www.sapdatabase.net/2012/02/procedure-of-db-refresh-in-sap.html

Scenario 3:

If you need to build new system, then I would suggest below steps:

1. File System Sizing for Sandbox

2. Sandbox Server file system creation

3. Take PRD full system offline backup and Restore PRD file systems into sandbox

4. Restore the Home environment of SIDADM and ORASID from PRD

5. Restore file system /etc/services from PRD environment

6. SIDADM and ORASID should be able to connect to sql

7. Changing IP address in Oracle related files

8. Starting Oracle DB

9. Starting SAP

10. Checking SAP and Oracle consistency

Scenario 4:

If database size is small, then it is better go with system copy method: Export/Import activity.

Regards,

Deeraj Shetty

Former Member
0 Kudos

Appreciated your detailed reply, Thanks alot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Khuram,

If your SID and database will remain the same I would recommend cross restore if you are for example using Oracle as your DBA you can ask your DBA to assist.

1. This means lots of times saved .

2. Much less post processing

3. Has drawback where sapinst compress/reorgs data in the export and import process this benefit will be LOST to you using cross restore db tools.

So bottom line for your need of time cross restore will be quickest.

Johan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would recommend a backup/restore or an export of the database using sapinst tool. Download the system copy guide from SAP Marketplace, all the steps are mentioned there.

Good luck.

Michael Rodrigo