Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Migrate HWC application to SMP 3

Gairik
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

We had built a HWC application on SUP 2.2 . Now , client has installed SMP 3 as a fresh installation and asked us to migrate the HWC application to SMP3. I know that in SMP3 , SAP has introduced a new concept for hybrid application which is called Kapsel. I saw the documents for migration of the existing application and I can see that MBOs can be migrated to SMP3 but I'm not sure if we have hybrid container application , how can we migrate it to SMP. I didn't find any documents on the same. So, in short , how we can work with the existing HWC application in SMP 3 platform . Please suggest .

Regards

Gairik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Gairik,

Migration from SUP 2.2.X/SMP 2.3.X to SMP 3.0 may require redevelop,  redesign,  redeploy of existing app. For MBO based app we have something like mbo model and that has to convert into EDM model.

Check out some documents for better understanding

SyBooks Online

To know more about Kapsel check this amazing blog series

Rgrds,

Jitendra

Gairik
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Jitendra for your response. But the sybase link does not specifically talk about HWC application migration. It is just talking about MBO based application .

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

dfd IN SMP3 Kapsal replaces HWC apps. More information is here,

It is possible to run HWC on SMP3. But I haven't find the right documentation on HWC migration. According to John Wargo "HWC runs via the sidecar on SMP3". Hope he can give more information on this.

- Midhun VP

Gairik
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Midhun for your response. I will wait for John's response.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're implementing a MBO runtime option for SMP3 that will allow you to continue to run your MBO-based applications after you have deployed SMP3. Long term though, an OData-based approach is the direction we're heading. With the OData implementation in SMP, we're using standards, instead of proprietary solutions.

You will need to migrate that app if you want to take advantage of SMP 3 features, but you can still run that MBO app until you're ready.

Former Member
Gairik
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi John

Thanks for your response. I have checked the link but the link is saying that HWC applications need to be redeveloped in SMP3. I really didn't find the exact steps to migrate the "existing" HWC application to SMP3. Is it possible now or we have to wait for future SMP releases.

Regards

Gairik

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's right. There's no option except to rewrite them. You have to recreate your back-end connections on SMP and expose them as OData feeds then update the client application to use OData instead of MBOs.

Gairik
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks John for your response and sincere apology for responding late . We hope to get the migration option for HWC in future releases of SMP . Many thanks.

Regards

Gairik

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

waynesmith
Participant
0 Kudos

Because the HWC application in SUP/SMP 2.x.x are using the MBO
Mobile buisness Object they would need to be redesigned.

There for at this time you can not migrate them to the SMP 3.0

Now my understanding in a future release of SMP 3.x the MBO API
will be added to the SMP 3.x so there may be some hope that HWC
application may be migrated to the SMP 3.x.

But at this point in time they have to be rebult you can not simply migrate them
over to the 3.0

I hope this helps 

Wayne Smith