cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Connection failure

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need help with the following:

I have CR version 2011 and I am getting a message that states: "INTERNET CONNECTION NOT DETECTED
Connect
to the internet to access online Crystal Reports resources,
including product
add-ons, samples, and the latest product updates."

Window's Firewall is turned off, I uninstalled Internet Explorer 10 and have even removed Crystal Reports and re_installed it.  I am still receiving the same message.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Mr. Partney,

I had the same problem (see my previous post), and finally I figured it out. According to this Knowledge Base Article: 1183868 - How to modify the start page of Crystal Reports you can find and modify the html file that is displayed in the start page.

First, keep a copy of the original start.html in case something goes wrong.

Then, modify start.html by replacing the following lines (located towards the end):

<iframe width="100%"

height="1200px" align="center" scrolling="auto" FRAMEBORDER="0" class="resources" id="onlineresourse"></iframe>

<script type="text/javascript">InitializeResourcesTag("onlineresourse")</script>

<script type="text/javascript">SetFrameSource("onlineresourse")</script>

with these:

<iframe width="100%"

height="1200px" align="center" scrolling="auto" FRAMEBORDER="0" class="resources" id="onlineresourse"

src="http://www.businessobjects.com/ipp/crystalreports/start/2008/default.asp?destination=CR%20StartPage"></iframe>

The URL I used in src="...", is mentioned in another KBA here:

1534868 - Error: INTERNET CONNECTION NOT DETECTED when opening Crystal Reports

Now the Start Page shows the content of the above URL, instead of the "Internet connection not detected" message (which is misleading, there is internet connection but the program searches for a URL that does not exist anymore). And although some text refers to CR 2008, most links are general and not version related.

Hope this helps,

Takis Karakatsanis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your reply on changing the start.html document worked great.  Thanks!!!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

My guess is a proxy server.  We have this at work and the Start Page fails to load on some machines because of the proxy server.  You may need to add the URL to your Trusted Sites.

Good luck,

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, don't have a proxy server.

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

Could IE have anything in Restricted Sites in the Security tab?  In the Security Tab press the Reset all zones to Default level button.  That should remove anything in your security zones.

Also go into the Advance tab and in resetn Internet Explorer Settings section, press the Reset button there.  This will restore all your IE settings back to default.  If IE is working for you and it's your default browser I suspect something in IE is blocking it.

Good luck,

Brian

JWiseman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hello all,

i've alerted the folks at scn about this as it could be an issue with the backend server that provides that resource section on the start page of crystal. i'm experiencing the same issue on several machines as well some with proxy and others without.

i'll let you know as soon as i hear anything.

-jamie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tried everything you suggested, but getting the same results.  I think I have even more problems though.  I also have CR 11.5 through a medical EHR program (NextGen) and it will not run at all now.  Going to work with that vendor and see if they have an answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi:  I am having the same problem with CR 11.  You mentioned adding the URL to the trusted sites...do you know what the URL is that it is trying to connect to...I cannot seem to find that information.

I am not sure how this site is working...not simple.  My e-mail is xxxxxx so that I may get a direct reply...not sure I could even get back here again or how I would get a reply from you.

Thanks,

Jack G.

Message was edited by: Ludek Uher Rules of Engagement forbid the use of emails in the body of any SCN posts. Please use DM if need be. - Ludek SCN Moderator

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

CR 11 has been out of support for close to 5 years now and there are no updates available anymore. There is an update to CR XI R2 (11.5) available by following the instructions in this blog.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mr. Uher:

I am new to the site and finding it very difficult to navigate and figure out. Thank you for your reply. In regards to my infringement on the rules by putting my e-mail in the message? I will gladly
comply if you would please tell me what DM means?  Did I reply correctly to you?

Second, as stated, I have CR11 Version 14.0.6.1036 and it is the full
developer package. I can find no information as to what service pack I have;
where would that information be?  It is not in the help..about. Therefore, I am not sure what to do from your blog…it is like a foreign language.  Can you be more specific, please, would I do the first upgrade (CR XI R1 install to CR XI R2A) or would it be the second one and if it is the second one which steps…again I have no idea what service pack I have.  Also would I need to download and install any or all of the Runtime for CR XI R2A?  I would great appreciate any help I can get.

What is the latest version of Crystal Reports…can I just upgrade directly to
that?  If so, I will check with my Server person and see if we can download the latest, greatest or can you give me a link by which to download the software?  We have an enterprise account and 5 licenses.

Thanks for helping the village idiot.

Sincerely,

Jack Griffin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mr. Wiseman:

Have you received and information regarding this issue?  It seems no one has resolved their issue including me.

Also, do you have any clue as to what URL the application is calling so that I could enter that in trusted sites just to make sure security is letting the site through?  Or, if I had the URL then I could trace the problem just using IE9.

Thanks,

Jack G.

The Council - Houston, Texas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mr. Uher:

By the way when I say CR 11 I am referring to Crystal Reports 2011...the help/about does not say that it is 2011, it only says Copyright 2011 SAP AG then give the version that I sent in the prior e-mail.  It appears there is a 2013 version out?

Again, I appreciate the help and input as to how to upgrade what we have either to CR XI R2A or to 2013.

Thank You,

Jack G.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mr. Griffin

Re. DM. DM Stands for Direct Message. To do a Direct message, all you have to do is hover over the name of the party you want to Direct Message and click on "Direct Message":

More information on how to work on SCN can be found in Documents and Blogs in this the

Space.

To reply to a post, you click on the "Reply" icon:

E.g.; yes you did reply correctly.

Remember, these are community forums. There are rules to go by and the forums are not technical support as such. You may get help, you may not. It may be good help, it may not. It may be timely, it may not. There is support is provided over the phone and if that is what you'd like, the link to where you can create phone support is at the following URL:

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/en_US/pd/productID.98078100

Rules for phone support are; if the issue turns out to be a product bug, your incident will be refunded.

You mention that you do have an Enterprise account. Therefore you should also have free phone incidents available to you. If you are not sure, check with your IT or with your SAP account rep.

Re. Confusion on versions. I was simply responding to this statement by you on March 7:

I am having the same problem with CR 11.

Jim Partney, the OP (Original Poster) clearly identified his version as Crystal reports 2011:

"I have CR version 2011"

Now, I am also typically working with CR 2013 and the Help | About screen looks like this:

The version Crystal Reports 2013 is identified. I assumed the same identification would be there for CR 2011. Unfortunately, having just looked I see the screen for CR 2011 is not clear at all, so apologies there.

Next I'd like to take a look at the numbering.

Roman XI = 11, thus CR XI = CR 11

CR XI R2 refer to CR 11 Release 2 = CR 11.5

CR 2011 is not CR 11 / 11.5

Crystal Reports 2013 is the latest version, however Crystal Reports 2011 is still supported and there are not too many changes between CR 2011 and CR 2013. If you wish to pursue and upgrade option to CR 2013, please call sales at 866-681-3435. For more details re. versions of Crystal Reports see this blog.

Re. the "INTERNET CONNECTION NOT DETECTED" message. Please have a look at the following KBA (Knowledge Base Article) and see if it will help:

1534868 - Error: INTERNET CONNECTION NOT DETECTED when opening Crystal Reports

As a by the by. The KBA could have been found by entering the search string 'connection detected crystal ' or a variation there off, in the search box at the top right corner of this web page.

With regards,

- Ludek

0 Kudos

Hello Mr. Uher,

I have the exact same issue in CR 2011, v14.0.9.1345. The Start Page displays the message "INTERNET CONNECTION NOT DETECTED".

I searched SCN and read 3 threads, including this one, but none of the suggested solutions worked for me. Neither did the 1534868 KBA that you mentioned above.

Internet connection is ok, firewall and antivirus are turned off, registry key "Show Online Resources" exists and is set to "Yes" and browser can access the url provided in the 1534868 article.

Additionally, I would like to mention that the "Check for Updates..." command in "Help" menu does not work.

Both issues exist several months now (I have tried re-installing), start page worked for some time, but the "check for updates" has never worked. So, it hasn't anything to do with some SAP server being temporarily down.

I would like to know whether these functions work for other users, because if they do then something is wrong with my machine (and others that have the same issues). Otherwise we can assume that SAP has stopped supporting them.

Thanks in advance,

Takis Karakatsanis