cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information Design Tool - Error on DataSourceList

Former Member
0 Kudos

I cannot create ODBC connections within the IDT because it throws this error message. I have cleared out all of the unused ODBC connecttions via Data Sources in the windows control panel, cleared out all the old projects, uninstalled and reinstalled client tools yet the problems still persists. I am using 4.0 SP7.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Screen shot attached. It also throws the error upon starting the IDT

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi Matthew Davis,

Did you solve this problem? I am also having this problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This step from Eric Vallo helped.

3) You do not seem risk averse to uninstalling.  If you do this again, ensure you deleted the .businessobjects folder in your profile folder, the remnants of the location where it was installed (if any), those project folders, and lingering registry keys in HKLM and HKCU under Software for SAP BusinessObjects.  Then reinstall for fun.

0 Kudos

Thank you Matthew!

I managed to solve the problem by installing software.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you trying to do it for a brand new UNX universe?

If you are trying to create a brand new UNX universe or add a new connection over to an existing UNX, you need to have that connection created by your system admin in the CMC.

Once its created, while you are in the IDT, logon to the repository, 1) navigate to the connection, 2) right click on the connection and 3) select the option "Create Relational connection shortcut"; 4) finally select your project folder where you want that connection to go; if your project folder does not exist, cancel it out and go to the menu File -> New -> Project. and start over from step 1 above.

After the connection is copied over, create the data foundation layer by going to the menu File -> New -> Data Foundation.

I hope this helps.

former_member186155
Participant
0 Kudos

This is a long shot, but is there any difference in behavior if you right click on the IDT shortcut and Run as Administrator?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the suggestion but the error still persists. I should add that it was previously working and had been for 18 months. I was away for 2 week, came back and this error was present. As far as I am aware nothing should have changed.

former_member186155
Participant
0 Kudos

Interesting.  Things are rarely chance as I'm sure you know

A few thoughts come to mind to debug:

1) Do any of the other tools that can use the ODBC dialog experience this issue?  Could you try classing Universe Designer?  Helps to isolate it to an IDT specific issue.

2) Are you the only one experiencing this IDT issue in your group that'd have the same computer policy setup?  If others work fine, you can rule out your company doing something funky.

3) You do not seem risk averse to uninstalling.  If you do this again, ensure you deleted the .businessobjects folder in your profile folder, the remnants of the location where it was installed (if any), those project folders, and lingering registry keys in HKLM and HKCU under Software for SAP BusinessObjects.  Then reinstall for fun.

4) On the off chance a Windows update broke it somehow, if you were at least curious, you could look at the Windows update history. 

All those things still failing, you probably don't want to get into the job of verbose log tracing and could consider an SAP incident on that one.

Sorry Matthew.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Apologies for not updating this sooner. I carried out step 3 above and that resolved the problem, I still dont know what caused it however but have not experienced it again since.