cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find Software Component Archives (SCA)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can anyone direct me to where I can find the SCA (software component archive) for Oracle 9.2. I have to import it into NWDI to be able to build my Web Dynpro application.

Platform: EP 6.4 SP14

I can find it in the software catalog in the SLD - but have not been able locate the actual sca file anywhere.

I am building a Web Dynpro application with direct integration to oracle using JDBC. This approach is necessary, as I get my connection parameters on the fly from other systems.

Extract from the code:

DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());

Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:oracle:thin:"+oracleSystem,oracleUser, OraclePassword);

An alternative could be to build an external library DC from the oracle jar file - (see: <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/5a/2e2f4234135433e10000000a155106/frameset.htm">External Library DC from the SAP help</a>) - but does anyone have experience with this on the EP6.4 platform - as I cannot find the option to create a External Library DC in my NWDS 2.0.9.

A second alternative could be to build the application using the NWDS 2.0.11, but will that work on the EP 6.4 platform?

Best regards,

Anders Broedssgaard

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sigiswald
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anders,

If your platform is EP 6.4 SP<b>14</b>, then shouldn't you use NWDS 2.0.<b>14</b>? I don't think there's a separate SCA for Oracle; you should download the JDBC driver from Oracle.

Kind regards,

Sigiswald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sigiswald,

thanks for the swift reply.

There could be an issue about using the NWDS 2.0.<b>14</b> - I will check with my basis guys.

I have the oracle jdbc driver (ojdbc14.jar) downloaded and installed it on my local machine - and have no problems in building the application locally.

But I need an SCA to be able to use NWDI to build the application - one of the ideas with NWDI is, as I see it, that it holds all software necessary to build the application on the NWDI, so you are certain always to use the correct versions etc.

regards,

Anders

Sigiswald
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anders,

You're 100% correct about the purpose of NWDI. Indeed, you should use an External Library DC to follow your approach. BTW, in your NWDS you do see the SAP_BUILDT, SAP_JTECHS and SAP-JEE SCs?

What I'm not so sure about is whether this is the correct approach. Maybe you should define the Oracle JDBC driver as a system library instead. That would be a DC of type J2EE Server Component / Library. Then I think you should set the <i>jdbc.drivers</i> system property to include <i>oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver</i>. Actually, changes are the Oracle diver is already present so there's no need to create some Library DC; just set jdbc.drivers.

BTW, why would your Web Dynpro application need the Oracle driver at compile time? If you use <i>DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());</i> that's indeed the case. But why not just use <i>Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");</i>? If you set the jdbc.driver system property, you don't even have to use Class.forName at all.

It's been a very long time I used JDBC directly, I hope everything I say makes sense...

Kind regards,

Sigiswald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Perfect!

I used your solution (or workaround - and it worked, as I now don't have the binding at compile time!

So I got the solution for this time - but I will still have the problem in the future, if I need to use another 3-part jar file at compile time. But why worry about possible future problems, when things are working right now?

Thanks for your effort and time and have a nice weekend

Anders

And just for the records - I do see the SAP_BUILDT, SAP_JTECHS and SAP-JEE SCs in the NWDS.

Sigiswald
Contributor
0 Kudos

When you say it works, does that include at runtime? That would only be the case if the Oracle JDBC drivers are available and the DriverManager can load them. Good luck!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sigiswald,

Yes it does include runtime - on both dev,. qa and production servers.

Regards

Anders

Answers (0)