cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubt : Message Processing Rules

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I created 2 message processing rules. One with processing type as Transaction and another as category. Message Name was marked as * in both the cases. < as shown >

When the input was received in MII, message monitor showed that the messages were hitting the rule with category definition. Does it gets any advantage/preference over transaction processing type?

Same is seen in below scenario as well:

MessageName is same in both rules below. But the input always seems to hit the categorized rule.

Note: SAP MII 14.0

Any thoughts..

Have a nice day!!

Thanks/Regards

Ruchir

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your reply...

I was just going thru the message listener testing for diff scenario around it n happen to find this..

Even i was curious why it didn't throw ed up error when I wrote the same name...

Thank You All for coming in...

Wish you all a great time....

Regards

Ruchir

saumya_govil
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ruchir,

That's really interesting why the system allowed you to create 2 processing rules with the same combination of ServerName, MessageName and MessageType. I tried the same on MII 12.2.5 built 80 but the system does not allow to save the second processing rule.

I understand that you are on MII 14.0. Maybe soem service pack should help solve the issue.

But keen to know, why you are trying to build such a scenario? Just a test or there is any specific need for it?

Regards,

Saumya Govil

former_member193328
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchir

You are right. Rules with Category are processed before the transaction based rules.

However it should not be possible to create a rule that has exactly the same entries for

Message Listener, Message Name and Message Type. This was done to avoid the situation you hit.

I tried this with MII 14.0 and cannot reproduce the situation you mention. See attached screenshot.

Also I tried on MII 12.2 SP5 and I get correct behavior as well.

if you are using MII 12.2 see if you are on the latest MII 12.2 or not. If not an upgrade might fix this issue for you. However you will have to choose the rule you want to keep and delete the other.

if you are on latest 12.2 version please raise a CSN for MII team to check this.

Regards

Partha

rutika_bodas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchir,

I tried your scenario and found that this is how MII behaves.

If there are 2 messages with same name and same message type and with processing type as category and other one as transaction, then the one with 'Category' processing type will always get processed and not the transaction one.

You will find that if you delete the message with type 'category', then the one with 'transaction' will start getting executed.

Another point to consider is that this is only because you have SAME 'message name' AND 'message type' for both your processing rules.

Instead, if you had a different 'message type' OR the 'message name', then they will both be considered unique and then whatever is the processing rule created, will get applied.

I am also curious to find out that how did you manage to save a processing rule with same message name and same message type? When I tried it, the system did not let me save it.

Regards,

Rutika

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rutika,

Thanks a lot for time and effort n coming back in...

Well, I also thought the same that processing rule with same message name should not be allowed to save twice but somehow it worked and it worked without any trouble...

Thanking You

Regards

Ruchir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchir,

a recent SAP notes can also provide some light on your question:

1872559 - message listener performance

It point to also some consideration in regards to picking either Category or Transaction Processing type.

A personal architecture would be:

1. if when triggered, it has to be reflected directly and immediately in a destination system and without having a very high volume; then use Transaction processing.

ex: This can be the case for a production order or something like that as long as they are not sent by the thousands,

This can also be the case for a message sent from another MES system or plant system or MII, etc...

2. For everything else, Category:

- Master Data, ex: Material which can be batch updated

- Transactional data with a very high volume: ex production orders for a month after an MRP run.

Hope it helps,

Arnaud