System copy (refresh) clarification needed
We want to refresh our BI 7.0 Ehp2 Test system from our Production system.
Both systems have the same architecture:
- Prod system is: 1 server, 2 instances (2 SID, 1 for ABAP and 1 for JAVA), Windows 2008 R8 and MSSQL 2012 with page compression on all DB.
- Test system is : 1 server, 2 instances (2 SID, 1 for ABAP and 1 for JAVA), Windows 2008 R8 and MSSQL 2012 with page compression on all DB.
In both of Homogenous System Copy using SWPM 1.0 guide (the one for ABAP https://websmp210.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001419132012E and the one for Java (https://websmp210.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001419152012E), the following statement is confusing for me:
"Refresh: Overwriting of an already existing target system with the database content from a source system. The refresh use case is not supported using the installer."
Does it means we cannot use these guides to perform our refresh ?
If we can use these guides, for the ABAP instance, the process defined for MS SQL Server-Specific Procedure is:
- Create a backup from source system
- Restore backup of the source system in the target server
- Run the installer to install the target system by choosing the following on the Welcome screen: <SAP Product> -> Software Life-Cycle Options -> System Copy -> MS SQL Server -> Target System Installation-><System Variant> -> Based on <Technical Stack>
Is it required to perform an export of the source system before ?
If we cannot use these guides, does it means we have to follow the instruction from note ‘151603 - Copying an SQL Server database ‘ and so to execute the manual steps defined under Step 8 as the ‘Database Copy completion’ from SAP Tools for MS SQL Server cannot be used for SAP system based on kernel 7.0 or higher ?
I have read a lot of SAP documentation regarding this topic and for me, the provided information between the different docs are not so coherent and clear.
If someone could clarify these points, it will be great.
Thanks in advance