cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a standard ratio/proportion for Prod/QA/Dev instances in a tiered architecture

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I wanted to know if there is a standard proportion of Prod/QA/Dev/Sandbox etc in a 4-tiered and a 5-tiered architecture across SAP products. For example if a client has 100 instances, can I predict with a decent amount of accuracy that there will be 50  production instances and 50 others. While a lot of this depends upon hardware, usage, the product itself and the load factor the firm is comfortable with, is there a baseline ratio that people should strive to have?

Also, Could i predict the number of production instances using the number of licenses? For example if the firm has 20,000 licenses, will be safe to assume that there will be around 20 production instances as people usually scale up at that rate.

Thanks. Points for detailed answers.

P

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183069
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We will say the Application server as a instance,

The instance can be maximum of 99.

go through the below link.

SAP Library - Configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, but it doesn't really answer my question. I am looking for an average proportion of the number of instances of Prod to QA to Dev...

Or a ratio of (the number of instances of Prod) to (number of instances of all other systems) for SAP products.

Is there a general guideline/best practice for that?

former_member183069
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prasun,

There is no ratio like things maintained for instance.

Based on the user's and load  the instance will be decided.

For example

The Production system is required for End users and it is the live system,It must be very fast, The load will be more and data in the back end will be very high.So it may required 3 - 4 innstance.

But the qty is used for training and testing, There will be very less data,load and usage is very less compare to production so it can be even slow so it will not create any impact on business so we can have 1 instance for similarly for DEV also.

So there is no ratio existing between this.

It will be decided only based on the above mentioned factors.

Regards,

KK