Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replicate All/New users in Backup system

anuj_kumar3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are planning to build a new system which will be working as backup system for our production environment. Our intention is to replicate all user in the new backup system so that we can use this backup system in case Golden system is not up. Here replicate all users means:

• All existing users should be replicated with new backup system with all their data like authorization, passwords, user groups.
  • When we create new users, that user should also be created in new backup system. For this i was thinking to setup CUA but in CUA we need to choose the child system if we want to create user in that. I want this without any kind of selection.
  • For existing user if we made any change (Password reset, authorization change etc) these should be reflected in backup system.

I was planning to add this new backup system in CUA but with CUA I will not able to achieve above mentioned points because in CUA i need to select logical system (child system) name to reflect any changes in that.

Could you please advise on what can be done to achieve this functionality?

Regards,

Anuj

10 REPLIES 10

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

it's going to be tricky. A proper way to implement this would be to use some identity management solution (e.g. SAP IDM). All changes to users would be made in IDM and then they would be propagated to backend systems. In your case same changes would be replicated to golden and backup system. This will require some time and money.

Other option on a shoestring could be to implement this by yourself. In the new release there is a user exit that is called after user is changed. So you you raise an event that would cause a user replication to backup system. Re-using IDocs used by CUA would be probably the simplest option. The only part that could be tricky is to replicate password changes. I don't think that there is a user exit for password change. Also capturing password in plaintext might not be possible.Warning that these custom solution may end costing more than proper solution.

BTW our of curiosity, how is this switch from golden to backup system going to happen? I understand that you want to have same users in both systems but what about other master and transactional data?

Cheers

0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your input. I understand that IDM solution will definitely add huge cost to the project so I need to think something else. Currently 2 options are coming up in my mind:

1. Setting up CUA and make backup system as child but this doesn't looks feasible as per the project requirements.
  2. Creating a custom programme which can updated only those users who have been changed in golden system. I know this may sounds weird but need to check on this.

With ref. to your question "how is this switch from golden to backup system going to happen? I understand that you want to have same users in both systems but what about other master and transnational data?"

As per the requirement only some specific data will be replicated to backup system for which we are building customizing interfaces which will replicate the data in real time.

Regards,

Anuj

0 Kudos

Hi,

so if you don't need near real time replication for users then you could try to go with a scheduled background job that periodically checks for user related changes and then replicate them. The only issue is with password. When you run it you will see only hashed values so might need to do direct update of tables (I know, a heresy). I am not sure if it works but it should. Anyway, if you can achieve all your requirements with CUA than I would go wit it.

Cheers

0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

Could you please share the job name which you are referring? For CUA we have a job (RSCCUSND) which updates the users changes in child system but this job has limitations which is not gonna help my in my requirement.

Please share the job name.

Regards,

Anuj

0 Kudos

Hi,

I meant a custom program scheduled to be executed periodically. I am not aware of a standard program that would take current users and replicate them into another client. I know that you can export/import users using basis tools but I am not sure if this is usable for periodic transfer. Writning a custom program is a easy task, you just need to search in change documents and then use standard BAPIs to create/change users.

Cheers

0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, as mentioned in my earlier reply, Custom program is an option which I am considering and as you mentioned this should be the easiest approach for my requirements.

Thanks  to you Martin and all who has shared their views.

I thinks we can close this thread now.

I'll update this thread with my outcomes.

Regards,

Anuj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anuj,

Maybe you could also try export/import of users periodically (daily?) but first of all I would think again in your scenario. Is really what you need? Pay attention to the comment of Martin about other master and transactional data.

What I would recommend to you is to think in a standard disaster/recovery scenario. Maybe it will be more expensive than a custom solution but you know it works.

Best regards

0 Kudos

Hi Felix,

I have considered the export/import of users but it will take huge time because of the no users present in Production system.

Regards,

Anuj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Setting up a CUA where the master is in any but the backup system and binding authorizations to HR OM seems to be the way in which you can automate all of the processes you want. There was some whitepaper once on the "how to" http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/92/e7623c28695c63e10000000a11405a/content.htm (yes, it's the old version, but I'm too lazy to search for the new one). Depending on how many children you want bound, this is an easy setup and can probably be done in under 10 days (< 10 children and no cross-overs).

0 Kudos

Thanks Mylene,

This looks interesting.I'll go through this and share my understanding.

Regards,

Anuj