cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Backup/Restore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I am setting out on the road to do a refresh of our current ECC QA System from our ECC Production system.

Now then, this will be the first time since we installed the Commvault 3rd party solution which now operates

our backups.

Looking at their instructions for a copy back it mentions a file init<SID>.utl which resides in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs

Now I can see the .ora and .sap files nut there is no .utl file

Just wondered if anyone knew anything about this init<SID>.utl file.

The backups are currently working without this file so why does it need this in order to do

a refresh??

Any ideas?

Thanks

Andy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a look at your initSID.sap file.
There should be a parameter

util_par_file = ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for that, Josef.

The parameter is commented out !

# util_par_file = initPR1.utl

So I guess it is not needed during a backup as they are working currently. However,

from the Commvault notes it does suggest it will be needed during a restore!

I'll keep you posted.

Many thanks again

Andy

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member105643
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hlo Everyone,

can anybody help me out the current scenario.

we are doing system refresh activity and here in our landscape we have veritas netbackup tool , so we are trying to restore the PRD data in QAS .

we don't have any document for this , so can anyone help me out this problem actually our QAS system is down.

Ankit

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Andy

You can find out which .utl file is used during the backup from the backup log.

Check the backup logs at /oracle/SID/sapbackup

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello RB again,

Thanks for that.

when I look in one of the log files it looks very much like it creates the entries

to this .tl file on the fly.

I was expecting an actual file like the .ora and .sap files.

It may well be that I just create the .utl file myself with the entries that appear

in the log file??

Thanks

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

.utl file generates when you deploy backup agent. it has the information of the agent setting and the backup tool. see link for as example for netbackup util file http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO48247

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

I think the UTL file is like you say, a temporary file used to store the command line for calling the backup software.

Are you using RMAN to call the Commvault agent  when doing a backup?  or are you doing a straight RMAN backup to disk, then letting Commvault just backup the directory location of the RMAN backup files?

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Andy

As far as I know the .utl files are deployed when you configure a backup solution for the SAP/Oracle.

In case of TSM these files will will contain the backup management classes, sessions, etc establised during a backup.

To trigger a backup this file should be in place.

Have a look here for Commvault, it says the same

Backup - SAP

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Darryl,

We use the Commvault software to manage the backups. This runs the BRTOOLS in

the background. You can see in the logfiles (on the Commvault side) a series of BRTOOL command

calls it makes

Andy

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Check the link sent by Reagan Benjamin.

As it says, if you're using RMAN, then the config will be different and you probably don't need the UTL file.

In theory, you should just be able to run through the BR*Tools to call BR*Restore and it should know where to get the files from.

It sounds like a bad solution to have to create a UTL file to perform a restore.  What a nightmare that would be at 2am on a Friday morning.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RB,

This is what is confusing me. I seen that link you mentioned earlier this morning.

But there is no .utl file in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory, just the .ora and .sap files.

It must be hardcoded someway in the Commvault config or something.

I will just have to manually create the .utl file myself and just hope for the best me thinks.

Many thanks guys

Andy