cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign diagnostic agent for java instance running under cname

former_member84834
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I am running SolMan 7.1 SP04 on Netwaver 7.02.

The managed server instances are started using profiles containing DNS common names (cnames) so they can participate in disaster recovery.

While installing the diganostic agent to the managed server I am entering the "cname" when prompted for the Host Name of the managed server. I am doing this because the additional information for this task says "Change Host Name if you plan to manage systems running on a virtual host. This scenario lets the diagnostics agent take part in a switchover environment."  The issue I have occurs when I attempt to setup the managed server usgin the tcode solman_setup after installing the diagnostic agent.  The fourth step in setting up the managed system is: Assign Diagnostic Agent

This is what is see:

Notice that the database is running on host w2pads - this is the cname of the server. The JAVA instances is running on aix862r2 - this is the hostname of the server.  In the SLD the System ID is associated with the cname. In LMDB the JAVA instance is associated with the cname. Any idea how to resolve this issue?

I have tried reinstalling the diagnostic agent - updating the SLD, running the landscape fetch to update the LMDB and syncronizing the LMDB using the report RLMDB_SYNC_TECHNICAL_SYSTEM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1.) when you go to LMDB/technical system and you select "application server java" and then start to write the SID, how many entries do you see? Are there any SID0000x? If yes, then you have to choose the correct one (and preferably delete all the others)

2.) then edit the correct technical system and go to "hosts" in the left-side menu. Check, that you can see both hostnames. Then go to "technical instances" and I think you can actually choose there on which host is it running

Let me know if this did not resolve the issue. LMDB is sometimes sneaky:-)

former_member84834
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Tomas,

There is one application server associated with the SID. I believe the root cause is the method we use to install software and provide a failover system. Let me try to explain.

We install our SAP software (including the Diagnostic Agent) with the system running under the hostsname. Then we stop the SAP application, modify the SAP profiles changing every hostname reference to a DNS cname and restart the application. This is done so the system can participate in failover.

The problem with this method is that when you are setting up the managed system in Solution Manager the hostname for the database server is derived from the value j2ee/dbhost in the profile and we set this to the DNS cname. Solution Manager determines the hostname for the Java server from an entry in the database which is set to "hostname" because it was established during the installation of the software.

I am going to test this theory by stopping the SAP application,  modifying the SAP profiles by changing every DNS cname reference back to the hostname, and restart the application. Then I'm going to delete the cname reference from the SLD and register the server to the SLD while it is running under hostname. The final step will be trying to set up the managed system in Solution Manager.

I will update the post with my findings.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Timothy,

have you found a solution for this? I have a similar issue, although with a DB server running multiple Databases which are used via Cnames. It's a pain trying to configure this in Solman 7.1 (SPS10)...

kind Regards,

Michael

former_member84834
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

No, I have not found a solution to this dilemma. I will update the notice once I find the fix.