cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Crystal Report not working after period of time

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have had a problem for a long time now on one of our web servers, it's becoming more of an issue lately due to a web site using Crystal more. The problem is that the Crystal Report Viewer does not load after a few hours. If I re ship the main DLL into the Bin folder for the site, then something gets 'reset', and hey presto, Crystal starts working again.

The problem would even arise with a basic CR, with just one Textfield on it (i.e. not show)

Web server is 32 bit Windows Server Web Edition SP 2. Asp.Net project built in VS 2012 against .Net 4.0.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,

Julian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Make sure you are on SP 8

Make sure you are using .Close and .Dispose on your report objects as you get done with them.

What OS? (2003, 2008, 2012)

Provide more info on the following:

The problem is that the Crystal Report Viewer does not load after a few hours.

What does that mean? Errors? Warnings? Behavior? Symptoms?

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ludek. I am doing a CrystalReportViewer1.Dispose() on Page_Unload, but will do a Close and Dispose on any Reports that are loaded too. I will also install Service Pack 8.

The 'Crystal Report Viewer does not load after a few hours' is that a Load Report Failed error occurs after a few hours and there is no report whatsoever.

Windows 8 Web Edition by the way.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Julian

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good. The way I look at this, "Load Report Failed" is quite different than "Crystal Report Viewer does not load after a few hours".

And if you did not have .Close and .Dispose on the report objects, that would be consistent with the "Load Report Failed" error after a number of reports are processed. Disposing of the viewer does not dispose of the report object and typically is actually quite un-necessary. Disposing of the report objects is a best practice as it is for most .NET objects.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Many thanks for replying. This is now sorted. Made the .Close and .Dispose code changes, released the website a couple of days later and hey presto, all working, and the C:\Windows\Temp directory is clean!

Excellent.

Again, many thanks for your help on this.

Julian

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is excellent news .

Happy coding,

- Ludek

Answers (0)