cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspection Method with Material Specification

0 Kudos

I've used a MIC that has an Inspection Method with a Material Specification. When I used that MIC in an inspection plan, I'm able to view the inspection method from within QE51N. However, when I use that MIC in the Material Specification, the system tells me their is no inspection method available. What am I missing?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is because the MIC is not used in conjunction with an inspection plan (task list).

Since the characteristic number you indicated was 9001 the MIC must not have been listed in the inspection plan, it was added automatically by the system. OR  you are inspecting just by material spec and not using any inspection plan (task list).

Since you can assign multiple methods to a MIC in QS22/23 for the same plant, you should always use an inspection plan when using methods.  I.e. inspection by task list, or inspect by task list AND material spec.

For instance.. lets say you want to do a water test and you have multiple ways of doing water analysis.  Say Karl Fischer or standard Loss on Drying test.  You can create these as two different tests.. (my preference in this case), but you could just create one water test in "Water %" in plant 1000 and then assign methods KFWATER and LODH20 (both in plant 1000) to the MIC in QS22/23.

You then, in the inspection plan select for the MIC "Water %" which plant method to use on that material, KFWATER or LODH20.  SAP copies the method into the inspection lot from the plan, not from the master data of the MIC.

Since in the material spec you can not select a method to use, there is no method to copy into the inspection lot when it is created.  You only get the capability of methods by inspecting with both material spec and an inspection plan.

When you inspect with both, (plan & spec), any MIC's in the spec that are not specified in the plan, are added in as 9xxxx characteristics into the last operation of the task list.  For these you lose the ability to link in the method.

It would have been nice, if, when there is only one method assigned to a MIC in QS22/23 for a particular plant, that method would automatically be copied into the inspection lot when using material specs.  But SAP didn't do that.

Craig

0 Kudos

Thanks Craig, this particular example was just a Material Spec, so what you said makes sense and confirms my suspicions. Thank you.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you have a need for methods in the COA?

Craig

0 Kudos

No, was just looking for a simple way to pass inspection instructions to the lots, and we are not using inspection plans yet.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gotcha!

Craig

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You might consider using inspection text from the material master.

Craig

0 Kudos

Tried that, but I can't see that it was passing to anything in the lot. Therefore, I assumed it is just a field we will have map to our forms if we want to utilize it.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A user can access it by clicking directly on the material number in several screens, (QA32 for instance, QA03, etc..).

There are also some threads on how to use user exits to put a button on the inspection lot field  I would think you could do that set it up to display the material's inspection text when its clicked on.

If you need it on a printed out form, then yes.. you would have to have some programming done to get that data and print it on the form.

Lastly, you can use Info Fields 1, 2 or 3 in the MIC if all you need is a method name.  The each have different string lengths so pick the best one.  The info fields do get populated in the inspection lot and are directly viewable in results recording.

Craig

PS> I like to use info field 1 for the MIC number.  In results recording the short text of the MIC is shown, and the characteristic position (001, 0020, etc.) but not the actual mic number.  It can be handy to have that visible in results recording. Field 1 is good for that.

0 Kudos

Great tips, I'll look into those things. Thanks again!

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

MIC's should be complete and referrence one only then used in Material Specification.

Regards

0 Kudos

Martin - error is "No inspection method specified in plan characteristic 9001".

Rahul - I changed the MIC from reference model to complete model and updated the Material Spec. Still have the same problem.

Nitin - I was able to assign the MIC to the material specification when it was a reference model, and it works fine, save for the inspection method issue.

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Tim,

I referred to his statement where it seemed to me that incomplete copy model was in question. Of course MIC should either be Complete or Reference but not incomplete copy model to assign in material specification.

And I have also faced the same issue once during test phase where I wasn't able to find inspection method when material spec was used. I'm exploring what could be the reason.

ntn

former_member620323
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Enter a master inspection characteristic that is completely maintained(Complete Copy Model).

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rahul,

Any MIC, which is not completely maintained, cannot be assigned to a material specification at first place. Correct me if Im wrong !!

ntn

Martin_H
Contributor
0 Kudos

What is your exact error message?