Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHARM functionality for SAP role management

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a question which is not technical but related to SAP role management.  I am not sure if this is the right place to ask.

We have implemented CHARM(solution manager) funtionalty and importing the new/modified roles from dev to production using CHARM.

Though the functionality is fine, but we are facing issues because of the lenghty process.  For example a simple RFC raised for modifying a role takes a lot of time for filling the details, business impact, assesement, business approval, change manager approval, etc.

This process looks fine for big changes where such a detailed assesement is required, but since we receive lot of requests to create/modify role daily, this process is not feasible as putting all these information takes a lot of time and sometimes business cannot wait if the requirement is urgent.

As the transport capbility is a inbuilt part of CHARM process, so even we cannot take the role management outside SOLMAN CHARM.

I wish to know from other people if they are using the CHARM, how they manage role management in their company.

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

I concur !!

0 Kudos

Thanks Peeyush. But do we have any possible solution or recommendation to escape this process.

Anyone else from their experience can suggest for alternative solution or to simplify the process.

This requirement is very important for us.

0 Kudos

Hi Sameer,

You can create a new project/correction in charm which you can customize as per your need(like removing the approval process, the charm details etc).

The transport requests for moving the security roles can be created in this charm project, thus simplifying your process.

Regards,

Laxman

0 Kudos

Thanks Laxman,

For giving an option which we can study and than implement.  Though, we cannot completely remove the approval process as it will be against an ITIL process.

The actual problem which we face is first service request is created for role changes as reported by user, than RFC is created from that SR and than finally a change document is raised for that RFC by change manager. Than the role changes are done in development and moved across the systems.

This looks very lenghty process as this involves multiple team to work on a single RFC.

Is there a possible simplified solution for it.

0 Kudos

Hi Sameer,

I think the simplified solution is very much a process/organisational one.  Streamline as much as you can from a process perspective and then as Laxman said, create the minimum workflow required to support that.

My personal view is that both change management and test management through SolMan are management conspiracies to test the spirit of hard working staff and generate unnecessary work, however if they are the tools mandated then there isn't much other option.

0 Kudos

Thanks Alex, as you suggested we need to revisit our process.