cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APO Demand Planning weak points / Most common enhancements

Former Member
0 Kudos

What are some of the weak points you saw in APO Demand Planning - Meaning some feature which you think is not working as you should work and some feature which Planners/users complained about.

What are some of the areas where you had to use ABAP development ( Implementation or continuous improvement/support phase) because SAP doesnt have that standard feature

It is ok to mention even though these changes are because of a specific business procedure followed by your client -But try to mention any generic ones which sort of applies to every client such as lets say you feel auto model selection 56 doesnt work correctly and you had a work around to make it work better

I know this is a loaded question but contribute as much as you can so that we all can deliver the best output and make APO DP more likeable to our clients

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Siva,

I believe Demand Planning is a great tool if configured and used properly otherwise it become just data entry tool within few months after implementation.

APO-DP common issues/concerns which I can think of  -

1. There is no event/audit log for changes done within Planning book.

2. Uploading data directly from Excel into Planning Book.
3. Forecast Modeling and Error measurement is not easy to understand for the planners.
4. Outlier Correction does not work as desired.
5. CVC creation is tedious job(especially for new product).
6. Exception Mgmt. by Alert Monitor can be simplified for end user experience.
7. DP BOM functionality and all the issues related to it.
8. Multi screen/transaction code kind of application makes it more less user friendly experience and requires team of skilled consultants(Functional/Technical/Admin) to maintain/support the applications. Unlike in the past there were application which had single screen and with single person controlling/maintaining the entire application.

Common enhancements which I can think of now.
1. Automate or simplify CVC creation process
2. Automatic update of Selection profiles

3. Security role/authorizations based on Master data for Planning Book etc.

4. Uploading excel data into APO-DP

I want to emphasize importance of end user training should be included as a part of overall project pan. It should definitely cover Statistics Modeling and various Demand Planning functionalities.Finally, Any application or software program(like APO-DP) cannot be held accountable for a user’s lack of theoretical and practical knowledge.

Hope this will help.

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Satish -  Another helpful reply , You are definitely addicted to scn , we dont want you to get off this addiction

Point 2 in issues and point 4 in enhancements : I think uploading from excel is a standard feature and we are using it - not extensively though .Any specific issues you came across

=======

If time permits can you give a simple example for enhancements Point 1 and point 2. . How can we simplify cvc creation process- we usually create cvcs from sales history and i think this is followed by most clients

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Siva. Nothing else to do on this cold/rainy afternoon here.

Yes, Sales History is definitely one of the ways to create CVCs in APO-DP.  It doesn't not cover all the CVC requirements.  You require some alternative to create CVCs ahead of time before Material actually start selling. After all you want to start forecasting/planning beforehand, so you need CVCs.

#1.  Regarding simplification of CVC creation process.

CVCs can be created based on the file being uploaded by the user. I had implemented this in following manner in the past.

1. This was done by creating the program which will upload (predefined formatted and tab delimited) file into Application Server(AL11).

2. While uploading file, individuals records from the file were validated against the Master data(Info objects - /BIC/PXXX tables) in APO and also against the /sapapo/v_matloc table.

Erroneous or invalid records  were written into the log file and was shown on the screen. Only valid records used to be uploaded in a file on application server.

3. Then batch job used to run to pickup the file either it will upload it into the Infocube OR another option use the uploaded file in MC62 variant and create the CVCs using FILE from application server.

4. If Infocube option, then CVC will be created based on infocube by running standard /SAPAPO/TS_PLOB_MAINTAIN program.

5. Once CVCs are generated, the run /SAPAPO/TS_LCM_PLOB_DELTA_SYNC to do Adjust Time Series.

I believe this is much simpler approach, less development effort and also it leverages standard inherent SAP features.

#2   Selection profile update can be developed based on Z program referring/updating these tables /SAPAPO/TS_SELKO  and /SAPAPO/TS_SELPO.

Hope this will help.

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Satish - nicely laid out

Validation against /bic/pXXX table -- I think this is to check the validity of specific masterdata lets say in a cvc record customer enters  company as 1234 . If this is not preent in /bic/pcompany then that record will error out

Validation against /sapapo/v_matloc  - I think this checks whether Product location combination is valid

and the prerequisite is to cif all the product and locations daily

Am I right on both of these ?

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, Your understanding is correct.  This is to ensure we do not create any invalid CVCs.

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Satish - Is this different from checking the "check characteristic value /check SCM master Data /check BW master data"options  ?

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Siva,

I believe /bic/pXXX table check is same as 'Check BW Master Data' option from //MC62.  Here the logic which I had explained will be used to eliminate such erroneous records from getting uploaded into the file in AL11,  and report these erroneous records to planner/user and so that he/she can take necessary action on it.

I suggest you take F1 help on other two options from MC62.

Hope this will help.

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Satish - I have tested this in my system - Your explanation made it clearer

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's Perfect.

If there are no more queries, then as a good practice (as per The Rules of Engagement defined by SCN), then please mark the question as "Answered". or Else let us know if you need any additional information.

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish - Can I keep it open, just for couple of days - as this is a little open ended qn and might get few new points

I was thinking abt this but couldnot figure out --

"#2   Selection profile update can be developed based on Z program referring/updating these tables /SAPAPO/TS_SELKO  and /SAPAPO/TS_SELPO. "

what is the business advantage of this - just a one liner is enough

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's fine, I have no problem keeping any question open. In fact will be glad if people provide any additional inputs.

#2. This will be for some rare requirement.  Trying to explain with a hypothetical example  - let us say you rolled out solution to Canada Sales Org and now you want to update the existing selection profiles to include Canada Sales Org as well.

Assume earlier we had only Sales Organization = US01(America) and now using Z program you will be able to add CA01(Canada) condition as well. This is the utility.

This program can be made as reusable asset where you can specify planning area, planning book, dataview, may be also Selection Profile with Wildcard allowed option.  The program can be used for any APO client/projects.

Refer this link for additional information:

Ways to update Selection Profiles in APO | SCN

Hope this answer.

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Siva,

Expert Satish has done a fantastic job. Thanks Satish.

Here are some more for your displeasure. Over and above what Satish mentioned.

- Performance is a black hole in SAP APO and DP in particular. Without proactive system performance management, loading selections and drilling can take time till cows come home. Performance has many fathers. So I suggest leave it to the BASIS experts. They will say they are not experts on performance so depending on the bank balance of the client, you can suggest a performance optimization consultant for twice a year health check

-Macro workbench- The syntax check is pathetic. If you are using a function for the first time, you will probably be spending a week to discover the right syntax for doing something like C = A/B + D, A, B C being values at different levels of aggregation. The test bench is bogus

-Querying data in live cache - There is nothing you can do to list all products whose demand is between 500 and 600 in month M at this second.  You need to use infocube animals and run queries on that. That would be stale info in all likelihood.

- Adding (or removing) a new plan able characteristic to an existing POS - Well you need to rebuild the system

-The bogus concept of a fixed "input from" date in data view - Scientifically talking I expect a variable firming based on the selection loaded. I will explain this later. Simple theory is you should not be able to change some key figures in some horizon..

-CVC age analysis - no transparent way to know when a particular CVC was created for the first time and for how long it has been/not been planned

-CVC deletion by some criteria - You need to write your own program though SAP could have provide one

-Planning for discontinued Customers- System will continue to plan much after the customer is supposed to have been discontinued => over planning if you are unaware

-Life cycle planning -Mass management of phase in and phase out profiles .the maintenance and assignment of phase in and phase out profiles in different screens is a time consuming affair. Users can lose visibility of what was the validity date of the phase in and phase out profiles maintained e.g. a week back because truth then was different to today when the forecast is being run

Promotions Planning- I can only call this UGLY. The main screen of defining a promotion accepts all crap that a user can type in. e.g. In the name of a promotion and promotion attribute values, you can type any damn thing. The ugly box for promotion attribute values is no painful to scroll down that I often seem to exit the screen

Master Data Loss/ POS repair: Serious time series errors (COM errors) can occur if master data is deleted or becomes inactive in SID tables of info-objects. In such situations, planning object ID is not recognized, even though data and live cache anchors “exist” in the planning area. Since in almost all cases master data deletion is never intentional, it should be possible to load the data in planning area as long as CVC’s physically exist in the MPOS. May be technically unclean but some easy option is possible here.

There are many more... but those will be like more from solution productivity point of view and that can vary from client to client. If the client is dumb, you don't need to bother much.

Thanks

BS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excellent List - Most of us who have worked in DP might have faced these issues - I really should appreciate your note making skills and the way you laid them out one by one. Even though you know its tough to recall when some one asks

Adding (or removing) a new plan able characteristic to an existing POS - Well you need to rebuild the system

I can not forget the pain this caused me. 

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Very surprised nobody has mentioned the limited standard Lifecycle tool. Especially around not allowing concurrent use without the purchase of the add on.

Regards,

Ali

0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

I got the transport requests to install the add-on APO Forecast Analyzer.

I hope we have to copy the transport requests in /usr/sa[/SID/trans/EPS/in

and do it from saint.. if i am wrong could you please share some documents how to install it in the SAP.

Regards,

HB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shiva,

I wish there is a log that would show who made changes to the data and at what level in Interactive Demand Planning. Thanks.

Regards,

Rohit.

rahul_agarwal5
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Pl check the following SAP note for an add-on to enable change log for DP and SNP from SAP CS.

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1308968

This has capability to let you know who made changes in planning book data.

Regards,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rahul,

I tried to install it on my system but it says that it is available for a fee. Any idea how much it costed your company to install the log. And is it worth buying it. Thank you.

Regards,

Rohit.

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rohit

I knew about this note and add-on Change Log tool for APO-DP/SNP.  Regarding Fee which is required to pay, I believe it is close 30-40K USD for single installation.

@Rahul - Can you please confirm as well,

Please check with SAP by calling their hot line number or write to these folks from SAP-

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

Thank you for the information.

Regards,

Rohit.

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rohit

Please refer below link for an old document posted by an consultant. It provides a workaround using Planner ID as a characteristic or attribute so that it can be used in selection. Please refer Point1-a from Page#2

http://www.infosys.com/manufacturing/resource-center/Documents/APO-DP-Design.pdf

Hope this will help

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Satish - As always , great help.Thanks for adding to the discussion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

One quick question. Say I have a key figure called Value Add in Planning Book A / Data View A / Planning Area A. The same key figure is in Planning Book B / Data View B / Planning Area B. If I make a change in the value of the key figure in Planning Area A, will it be reflected in the same key figure in Planning Area B?

Regards,
Rohit.

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No it will not.  You require /SAPAPO/TSCOPY - Copy/Version Management to copy data from one PA to another PA with necessary key figure assignment.

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

Okay... do you have any documentation on that? That would be really helpful. Thank you.

Alternatively I was thinking this way. Data backs up from this key figure from Planning Area B after 5:00 Pm the previous day. The following day during data loads, the values are copied to the same key figure in Planning Area A.

Regards,

Rohit.

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rohit,

Here is the link to SAP documentation

Copy Management - Exchange of Data Between InfoCubes and Planning Areas - SAP Library

May I request do post your question in a separate thread as this thread has specific topics common issues/pain points and enhancements. Please let us avoid mixing these things here.

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay sure... thank you...

Regards,

Rohit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can sell the change log tool that I got developed (yes I wrote the specifications) that is far more intuitive with loads of selections and full context help for every field, program and FM's used in the program. Written 100% in a language understood by most humans.

Cost will depend on bank balance of the client. For those struggling to make ends meet, I can give it for FREE in a text file.

For those who need fancy stuff to justify some jobs :-), the cost will be well.. how about 100 USD. with 5 year free support ? I don't think its worth more than that actually

Thanks

BS

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello BS,

Need not share actual code,  but blog giving an insight on functional specifications will help

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rohit,

Not sure if you got a solution for your needs with the DP Log. There could be several third party developments. I developed a very complex solution that my company sells as an Add-on.

Overall, as an insight on Functional, it logs any changes on DP either by //SDP94, //TSCOPY or BAPI activity in the PB/DV. It is an Add-on as it works inside one of the BAdI's provided by SAP.

If you are interested, please get in contact with me.

Regards,

Alfredo Hernandez

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Borat,

I have come across the same type of requirement for APO change log. I'm new to SAP-APO area .If you could provide the more details about change log tool,that could be great help for me.

If possible please email the help docs to my email - prssastry@yahoo.co.in

Thanks in advance.

Ravi.

kenneth_snyder
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The issue with CVC creation is that you normally forecast the product before you sell it.  So you to determine which products you will forecast and which ones you don't.

Former Member
0 Kudos

correct - I agree , The open question is how to make this process automatic/ less error prone and finally helps in building a high quality forecast

kenneth_snyder
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Normally we use some kind of indicator in product master to denote this product will be forecasted.  Then likewise if the indicator is removed the CVC is deleted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok understood - can you briefly mention how is the remaining process handled ,meaning process between  indicator ticked to cvc creation