cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are CALCULATION SCENARIOS in HANA?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can someone please explain what exactly are CALCULATION SCENARIOS in HANA?

When are they created?

Is it possible to view them from HANA design studio?

Best regards,

Sidharth Mishra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sidharth,

You might want to check the reply from @lars in the below mentioned thread about calculation scenario

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

According to the thread you mentioned i understood the following:

1. Calculation scenarios are created whenever we create any calculation views

2. It is not possible to view these calculation scenarios

Please let me know in case you have anymore information about them!

Best regards,

Sidharth Mishra

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sidharth,

Check the below thread:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3340726

In that you would find it's mentioned that :

"The second column view is activated using the CREATE CALCULATION SCENARIO command. It appears to be build off the parent OLAP column view but using a distinct syntax. In addition this view has all of the calculated columns that were missing from the OLAP column view."

When we use calculated columns in our Analytic View, these additional OLAP view is created using Calculation Scenario

Regards,

Vivek

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

The answers in that gives a supporting answer to my other question which i recently posted

So when we use calculated column in a analytic view, it creates additional OLAP views using "Calculation Scenario" and hence we are able to do a SELECT * FROM ANALYTIC VIEW..

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for your input.

But still i think there is not enough information available about the concept of Calculation Scenarios.

It would be really great if SAP provides some more details about it.

Best regards,

Sidharth Mishra

Former Member
0 Kudos

There isn't information available about calculation scenarios and this is deliberate. They are an internal mechanism that is used by calculation views and Lumira (presumably BI4 down the line) to generate calculation plans.

The purpose of them is that software can generate scenarios on the fly, if it has needs that are not covered in an existing model. Lumira already does this as of SP13/14.

Unless you are a HANA, BI4 or Lumira developer in the product teams, you shouldn't be using the syntax CREATE CALCULATION SCENARIO - it's not supported syntax and is likely to change. I suspect that we are going to see a lot of change in the internal engines of HANA in the next few releases, so you can safely pretend that this command doesn't exist!

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Yes i used Lumira and could see in the HANA logs that Calculation scenario were generated at runtime and also temporary calculated views were created.

I am assuming that a similar approach has been implemented for Bex query execution also.

But i am not sure as i could not find much documentation around it.

Basically wanted to understand how calculations like 'Exception Aggregation" from Bex query are being pushed down to HANA CE by Analytic Manager.

If you can suggest some blogs around this topic it would be helpful.

Best regards,

Sidharth Mishra

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you're interested in BW, then knows more than most. He detailed this in the blog . This explains how the OLAP Graph works, and this uses Calculation Plans to very efficiently calculate exception aggregation.

I've been hoping for a while that Thomas might write a follow-up to this excellent blog!

John