cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP APO and SD at a same time... Possible or Impossible

Former Member
0 Kudos

Recently I got my certification from SAP University Alliances which I study all modules (SD, FICO, MM, PP, WM, APO and basic) at a fundamental or basic level, where we didn't go in detail but we cover very very important steps in all modules. After getting my certification, i start my independent study on SD and APO (also PP as it is prerequisite for APO) and by taking independent training from my experience friends (who have work experience of 7 to 8 years) who help me in understanding SD and APO. Is this possible that i continues my career in both modules in future, What i am thinking is that at morning time i work in APO project and in evening or online or from remote site i should work on SD? I understand it a tough one but i wanna listen from SAP guru's and experience guys that what they think about it? Hope your answer will help me in choosing right direction in future.

***** Currently I am Graduate student

***** I didn't study BI in Univeristy Alliances Program.

***** I am very interested in SD and APO at a same time

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would not say PP is a pre-requisite for APO as you mentioned in your question.

APO originally was conceived to address certain new capabilities missing / not possible in core ERP modules like SD, MM, PP etc.

Logicial mapping of core ERP module to APO modules will be SD >> DP & GATP

MM >> SNP and PP >> PPDS. But that does not mean you cannot get into APO modules without any knowledge or experience of core ERP modules. In my case I went into APO directly (long long time back) without any core ERP module experience. On the way I picked up related ERP module knowledge primarily in PP and little in SD and MM. The key was to understand the relationships and handoff between these modules when you look at from user or a document processing standpoint.

For example in Order Fulfillment process, you can have SD ATP, APO GATP and / or CRM in play. Once the Sales Order is created and confirmed however other ERP modules comes in play depending on the setup like MM-IM or WM and finally to FI-AR etc.

Best of luck on your SAP journey as Functional Consultant.

Regards,

Somnath

PS: You may like to put in your actual name in profile instead of Invisible SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I totally agree with you. Can i ask you that how you survive in APO by going directly in APO. I mean how you started in APO and make progress. In my case I do this way SD>PP>DP>DP>SNP>PPDS. But I am not sure about my future career as currently I am student and learning SAP technology and I hope once i completed my training in SAP I will go on project. But not sure which module i should jump first..

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Invisible SAP,

As per best practice defined in The Rules of Engagement by SCN, If your problem/query is resolved then please mark question as "Answered". or Else let us know if you need any additional information.

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am sorry, Actually, i login to system after long time ago...... i will do that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Invisible SAP,

Based on your interest area, You are keen on Sales / Distribution including planning and I would recommend you to focus on SD and APO-GATP. if possible try catch hold of new SAP products like SAP Transportation Management as well. This gives a consulting of complete Orderfullfillment process including deliveries.

All the best.

sourabh_jain66
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Assuming when you say SD and APO you are talking about demand side of the chain, well enough is already been suggested on this by other experts, i would like to add few points here.

So if we talk about demand side of supply chain then you have areas like processes and planning (forecasting), sales, distribution and CRM etc. On the other side of it supply side of supply chain we have procurement, production, warehousing and other related functions. 

You can very well work in SD and APO (DP, GATP, SNP, PPDS, SNC etc.) in future, but i would suggest you to stick to either demand or supply side of the chain to start with and focus on processes, and then gradually you can build on it and broaden your skill set.

As Somnath has already mentioned PP is not a prerequisite.

I would like to add that it is not a prerequisite either for supply side or demand side, as you go along you can learn whatever is required.

You don't need to know BI for this at all.

Rgds

Sourabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Sourabh,

There are some functionality on both side that i love them (on demand and supply side) BUT again I wants to work on both of them. As I am student so not sure if i am making mistake, I mean some thought going in my mind that I should work in APO in morning time and SD in night time (Kinda of remote project). Do you think i am going right direction?

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Invisible SAP,

Based on your interest area of APO and SD, I suggest you to look for project in APO-GATP module.  APO-GATP module is tightly integrated with ECC-SD module,  If a consultant has strong knowledge in both SD and GATP, then it will surely a great advantage for the project and consultant himself.

I have seen there are less number of GATP projects if you compare to number of DP/SNP projects. However when you work on GATP/SD projects, you can always try and gain an exposure in other modules of APO (DP / SNP / PP/DS). This was my approach when I chose to make career within APO/SCM. I am pretty happy with it after 11 years of experience.

Besides may be a month back I had posted a blog on SCN on GATP (quick) Overview, you may like to read that before you decide on GATP.  Here is the link :

As you already have support from some experienced APO consultants, you can always consult with them and to get their views/advise as well.  It is a good practice to consult the seniors.

Please let me know if you need any help.

Hope this will help.

Thank you

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

Thank you for your great answer. Just wanna ask that I didn't cover anything in GATP. But i just cover very basic of GATP. I go deep in DP, SNP and currently covering basic level in PPDS. What you will suggest in that way? On SAP SD side, i cover SD module and currently CRM module... What your suggestion in this regards