cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When are column views generated for HANA Optimized cubes/DSOs?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not sure when are column views generated for HANA optimized cubes/DSOs.

Could you please let me know the following :

1. are the column views automatically generated when we create a HANA optimized infocube/DSO or is any other step required?

2. where are these column views created ? Can we view them in the HANA studio?

Best regards,

Sidharth Mishra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sidharth,

Please find my 2 cents below

1. are the column views automatically generated when we create a HANA optimized infocube/DSO or is any other step required?

A1: Yes, ColumnViews are automatically generated by BW for infoproviders such as infocubes and DSOs. They are needed by SAP HANA calculation engine as a "translator" for the entity relationship of underlying tables in HANA database.

2. where are these column views created ? Can we view them in the HANA studio?

Column Views are created in the HANA database under _SYS_BIC

former_member207019
Participant
0 Kudos

when you import HANA Optimized InfoCube to HANA then an Analytic View(used internally by Calculation View) and a Calculation View is generated and for that View a Column View is generated automatically.

Here Could you please explain me about analytical view (used internally by calculation view) means.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sidharth,

1. No column views are not generated automatically for HANA optimized DSO/InfoCube

But when you import HANA Optimized DSO to HANA then an Analytic View is generated and for that Analytic View a Column View is generated automatically

Similarly when you import HANA Optimized InfoCube to HANA then an Analytic View(used internally by Calculation View) and a Calculation View is generated and for that View a Column View is generated automatically

2. A column view is generated for any Information View(Attribute, Analytic and Calculation) created in HANA.

You can view the column views in /SYS/BIC schema

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Vivek,

Thanks for your reply.

What exactly do you mean by "importing HANA optimized infocube"?

I am on BW 7.3.

Are you talking about BW 7.4 functionalities?

Best regards,

Sidharth Mishra

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In BW 7.3 also you can import models into HANA

Watch the following video:

Blog: Modeler Unplugged: Episode 1.1 - Importin... | SAP HANA

Regards,

Vivek

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sidharth,

When you have a info provider in BW i.e Cube or DSO and you want to reuse these models in HANA for further modelling activities you can import them into HANA.

Please check this Note:

Note 1764251 - Documentation- Importing BW Models in SAP HANA Modeler

Also have a look on the below thread:

You can import Info objects as well from SP7 version.

Possible Scenarios in which you might require importing occurs in hybrid landscape comprising both BW and HANA and modelling the transaction data further in HANA which requires some lookup's on a DSO in BW. So you may need to import the DSO into HANA and model further on it's active table.

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

I was going through the blog below.And it has a lot of interesting stuff.

Blog: #BW-on-HANA and the Query Execution Mode | SAP HANA

It seems that in order to push down the OLAP calculations to HANA layer , the system automatically creates the column views on HANA optimized infoproviders.

Because unless column views will be available the CE cannot be utilized.

Moreover it seems that if we create any new cube/dso on BW powered by HANA enivironment a HANA optimized object is automatically created and no migration is required.

As far as this video is concerned it talks about creating our own HANA models on the objects and these are not used by the OLAP engine when we fire our Bex queries.

We can ofcourse use these models to do our custom modelling and then report on them.

Best regards,

Sidharth Mishra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Thanks.

I get your point about using infoproviders to create our own models.

But my original question was regarding system generated column views that OLAP uses for Bex query execution.

Best regards,

Sidharth Mishra