cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic switch of running jobs to other instance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a job running in background on one of our production application server, This report has to fetch near about 1.4 crore records and its taking huge time. We are planning to give this job a dedicated instance, out of the logon group. Matter is, can i dynamically switch this running job to some other instance.

Regards,

Aditya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

can i dynamically switch this running job to some other instance.

When the job is under execution you cannot change the executing server.

You need to either schedule the job with a specific background server (SM61 / SM36) or use a third party scheduler to run this job on a specific AS.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

one you are in SM61 - choose Job-Servergroup open, where you can define Group and assign/removeinstance of your App Servers or CI. And then you need to modify the job (that's causing issue) to use this Group name using SM36 -> Exec. Target (this is where you need to select the newly defined Group)

These setting should be done before starting the job.

Thanks

Risi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Rishi,

Thanks for your suggestion. Just want to know what is the difference if we create group from SMLG and from SM61?

Regards,

Aditya

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya

SMLG - SAP Logon load balancing - refer the link

Configuring Logon Groups (SAP Library - BC Computing Center Management System)

SM 61 - Backup ground job load balancing -

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm32/helpdata/en/cc/e45ca80f4a11d2a75e0000e81bf4e4/frameset.htm

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SMLG is for logon load balancing which you use for rfc or http load distribution.

SM61 you use for defining the Job server group that you can use during creation of background job.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya

I don't think so you may not switch the running background job to another SAP instance. Once the background job started/running mention it has having two status background jobs has to finished or canceled. Before starting the background you can define the specified SAP instance to run.

Regards

Sriram