Hi

I am planning  to do the DR set-up for my client. System details are as below:

I have some questions, please clarify:

Primary server
==============
(a) SAP System      : SAP ECC 6.0 EHP5
(b) Database        : Oracle 11.2.0.3
(c) Operating System: Window 2008 R2
(d) Cluster         : Microsoft Cluster (MCS)

Disaster Recovery server
========================
(a) SAP System      : SAP ECC 6.0 EHP5
(b) Database        : Oracle 11.2.0.3
(c) Operating System: Window 2008 R2
(d) Cluster         : Microsoft Cluster (MCS)

1. I would like to take the mirror image backup of primary server and copy on the DR server. Does it work or not ?

2. Can I keep the same hostname at primary and DR server. Is it best practice ?

3. Can I keep the same domain name at primary and DR site ? What best practice say ?

4. If I will take the mirror image backup of primary server's window 2008 R2 OS with some domain name and
    restore the same backup on another box with the same hostname / same domain name. Please let us know
    that how to change the Cluster DNS IP address on second box (It will be DR Server).

Please let us know the issue which I will face. It would be great help if I get some supporting document/note.

Regards

Vimal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Vimal,

I will recommend you also Hostname of your DR should be different from primary) and your SID also will be same and it will try to create the SIDADM and other user in domain server which will not allow.

RK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rableen

Thanks

Means difference hostname but same SID. But please let us know that printer and other need to be reconfigure.

What about the other activities ?

1. If I will install the SAP software (ABAP+JAVA), then all java changes need to done once again.

2. If I will do the system copy (without database) then configuration will come automatically.  Is it a difficult process...? Pl share the screen shot if any

Regards

vimal

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vimak

Means difference hostname but same SID. But please let us know that printer and other need to be reconfigure.

What are the thing you are configured in primary site  same thing you have to do in DR site.

1. If I will install the SAP software (ABAP+JAVA), then all java changes need to done once again.

I don't thing so, if your system copy source system export latest then its will takecare

2. If I will do the system copy (without database) then configuration will come automatically.  Is it a difficult process...? Pl share the screen shot if any

Depend on your source system export. better you can perform take latest backup/restore method

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Best approach would be:

1) Install SAP at your DR site (IP, Hostname of your DR should be different from primary)

2) Take an online+archivlog backup of primary

3) Restore the backup into DR

4) Mount your DR database into standby

5) Enable Oracle dataguard (It copies the archive logs and applies into standby database)

Regards,

Nick Loy

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vimal

1. I would like to take the mirror image backup of primary server and copy on the DR server. Does it work or not ?        

Yes, you can restore the DB from live to DR site and then perform system copy either HA or standalone environment, in my environment we have standalone system in DR with MS Sql 2008 R2 DB mirroring

2. Can I keep the same hostname at primary and DR server. Is it best practice ? 

You can have different host name(Physical host) in Primary & DR then you can perform the DB mirroring, if the host name are same you may not perform the DB mirroring, but SAP SID should be same in both site server

3. Can I keep the same domain name at primary and DR site ? What best practice say?      

You can keep the both site in same Domain.

4. If I will take the mirror image backup of primary server's window 2008 R2 OS with some domain name and

restore the same backup on another box with the same hostname / same domain name. Please let us know
    that how to change the Cluster DNS IP address on second box (It will be DR Server).

For this you need to play in the DNS or Cisco GSS (Global Site Selector), you have to keep the virtual host name. further details you can get in touch with Network admin team they can guide you.

During the time of system copy use SWPM it will helpful, Kindly refer the some of the helpful links

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/90486554-bdc6-2a10-d39b-e143d5b2e...

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sri Ram

Some more clarification

1. I would like to say that I will take the Full OS backup and copy DB on DB server and copy
   CI on CI server..  In system copy, I need to down the production server. I do not want to
   touch the production server.

2. I am not looking for DB mirroing. I will use the Oracle dataguard for log shipment.

3. No doubt

"During the time of system copy use SWPM it will helpful "  what is SWPM ....? do you have some
screen-shot for the same. Pl share to vimal68@gmail.com

Regards

Vimal

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vimal

1. I would like to say that I will take the Full OS backup and copy DB on DB server and copy   CI on CI server..  In system copy, I need to down the production server. I do not want to touch the production server.     

You no need to take full backup of OS primary site, Only you can take backup of DB primary site.         In DR Kindly follow the steps 

1. Installation the fresh OS either Windows MSCS or Standalone on DR site

2. Installation the Oracle, and restore the DB form Production Site to DR.

3. in DR site you have to perform the system copy by using the SWPM, otherwise you may not switch over from Primary to DR site(SAP SID should be same in both site),

4. Once the system copy completed the you can start sync the both DB( From Primary  to DR Site)

5. Any once of the off peak time you can perform the DR drill

2. I am not looking for DB mirroing. I will use the Oracle dataguard for log shipment.

For Oracle you can perform log shipping

3. As now i dont have any screen shot reference could you check the links

SAP Basis For Beginner: Installation of SAP Solution Manager in Windows platform compatible with Ama...

SAP Tools for MS SQL Server now part of SWPM - Running SAP Applications on SQL Server - Site

Home - MSDN Blogs

Some of the SCN links

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sriram

If I have correctly, the below are the steps which you are recommending:

1. Installation the fresh Window OS 2008 R2  in Central Instance Server
2. Installation the fresh Window OS 2008 R2  in Database Instance Server
3. Configure the cluster with  above two nodes
4. Install the Oracle Binary on Database Instances & Patch it
5. Restore the Database as below
          (a) Copy the database files
          (b) Copy the control files
          (c) Copy the online redolog files

or
          (a) Restore the offline backup of production database

or
          system copy (sapinst tools

6. Change the recommended parameters
7. Replace the standby control files
8. Perform System copy using SWPM (which option to select for ECC 6.0 EHP5 ABAP+JAVA, Oracle 11.2.0.3)
9. Configure the dataguard
10. Log shipment

Pl suggest and let us know how much time it will take. If you have complete steps with screen-shot, kindly share the same

Regards

Vimal

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vimal

Kindly follow the steps

1. Install the Windows 2008 server with latest service pack and windows updates from Microsoft site

2. Configure the Windows 2008 Cluster environment, Kindly refer the link

Failover Cluster Step-by-Step Guide: Configuring a Two-Node File Server Failover Cluster

3  Install the Oracle DB in windows cluster environment

Installing Oracle Clusterware

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/how-to-install-two-node-cluster-166...

4. Restore the Database from production server to DR cluster DB

5. SAP system copy by using the SWPM in Cluster environment

refer Installation Guide link - http://service.sap.com/instguides

6. SAP Post installation steps and Check with function team

7. Enable the Oracle log shipping

Time duration depend up you DB size this action you can perform during the working hours(its not require any down time for primary site)

Regards

Sriram