cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afaria roadmap for iOS 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have Afaria 7 SP3.

We planned SP4 installation for june 2014.

We use Afaria client 6.60.6236.7 custom signed, not the one from the AppStore

From the recent news from Apple "iOS 7.1 now availlable in beta", I wonder if I need to have SP4 in place to support iOS 7.1 device or I'm fine with SP3 ?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

D_Olderdissen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Kind of depends on what your understanding of "supports" is

If you want to use features that are only available in iOS7.1 you will most likely need SP4 + some future hotfix or maybe even SP5, depending on what comes first.

If you only want to use those iOS features that Afaria7 SP3 supports, you will most likely be ok with Afaria 7 SP3 and potentially a hotfix to get iOS7 to work. Personally, I do expect that iOS7.1 will "work" out of the box with any Afaria install that supports iOS7.

iOS7 in general does require some Afaria side changes due to the depreciation of the UDID. And I believe those changes requrie a hotfix for Afaria 7 SP3. But I am not sure.

Recommended would be to check with support as they can get you the support statements to make sure.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dirk

I want to know what are the impacts of iOS 7.1 on my actual Afaria installation.

The second part of your anwser well represent my position : what is used now will keep working with iOS 7.1

At first, I don't want to implement any new feature.  Just keep the light on !

I dont remember where I see that but I have read something about possible problem with SP4 and ISAPI filter on Exchange 2003.  Moreover, somebody in my team tell me that iOS 7.1 will force me to implement SP4 because the Afaria client will need it.  I dont find any writing about it (and he can't gave me any source...)  so I ask the community !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

regarding your question on iOS 7.1 and it's impact on the Afaria software as well as on your implementation: there is just too many unknown factors that make it impossible for any software vendor  to make any clear commitments.

• Timing: Apple does not tell anyone in advance when new products are released.

In the past years, Apple had announced the availability of a new GA release with a 1w notice, and if I remember right that was when the final beta was available as well. That's just 1w for SAP and all other software vendors to know for sure what's in the final GA version.

• Scope: Apple does not tell anyone what the final scope of a GA release is. Even if there are a few betas before GA, and even if they are fairly complete and big surprises are the exception, the scope of GA can change.

As a result, it is impossible for any company to make definite commitments as to when depending SW will be compatible with a new iOS version.

Having said that, of course SAP engineering performs compatability tests with new beta versions as soon as they become available. But again – final testing and final changes to any depending component can only be made once the GA release is available, and only then do we know for sure the impact on our software.

With regards to your SP4 / ISAP question, I'll try to find someone to answer that.

cheers,

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also check this webinar: SAP Afaria Product Road Map Webinar, Friday 17, 10am PST.

You'll need an S-User to register.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for the posts and SAP also detailed iOS 7 release plans publicly back on Sept 10 including a new embedded podcast.

http://www.sap.com/news-reader/index.epx?articleId=21526