cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll in and Roll Out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is meant by Roll in and Roll out time. Can anybody tell me about Roll Area also.?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Everything is there...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73ehp1/helpdata/en/49/325d4ee93934ffe10000000a421937/frameset.htm

Find here under a little summary schema I made for some courses quite long time ago but that should still be right.

You can also check that post

Regards

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Just for information, the process of rolling in/out and permitting the Work Process to serve more than one user, is called Dialog Multiplexing (at least it was back in R/3 days).

The reason for roll in/out is purely so that the work processes can be used by other users.

For this reason, it is very bad if just one of the work processes enters PRIV mode, as it becomes "locked" to working with local memory only and it can no longer multiplex.

It's possible that one user, causing one work process to enter PRIV, can bring down the entire SAP system.

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Roll in / out happens when user context is moved from/to the workprocess Local memory to/from the Roll buffer (size = rdisp/roll_shm + rdisp/roll_maxfs) before or after processing a dialog step.

Roll in => Copy the user context from roll to local memory

Roll out => Store back the user context to roll buffer when the dialog step have been process

Regards

1063061 - Information about response time in STAD/ST03

• ROLLINTI: Time for loading a user context (roll-in)
  • ROLLOUTTI: Time for unloading a user context (roll-out)
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yves,

thanks , can u tell me what is meant by local memory in the workprocess. Because work process is

associated with Roll area, extended memory and heap memory. Can you tell me what is local memory.?

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Local work  process memory => used by individual work process. Contains executables, data, stacks, local buffers,  local roll area, local paging area.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yves,

Thanks a lot. Do let me know if you have any other info on Memory concepts.

Regards,

Ravi.

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Darryl,