SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POSDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My client already installed SAP Retail, BW and using third party POS system. They want to find another solution to speed up posting, real time inventory checking, also real time POS posting. Can POSDM meet their requirement? If yes, can they using existing server?  Need ABAPer to develop program so that using PIPE?

Also I found some of document mention to use HANA for real time inventory check? Is it true?

thank you

JC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amit_tunara
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The purpose of POS DM is not to do real time inventory check and all. It is a centralized server for transactional data and after doing validation and aggregation, the data can be posted in one go.

You can use POS DM to collect Sales data from Stores from various location to a centralized POS DM server where you will execute certain task to generate aggregated IDocs which can be passed to SAP Retail.

Earlier POS DM was delivered in SAP BIBW as integrated part and now, POS DM 1.0 is delivered independently and not part of BI Suit.

HANA is a technology which helps you for faster data processing for all purpose. Inventory check is a report in SAP which can give inventory level at a given point of time. All other inventory transactions like GRN, stock transfer are updated instantaneously. The effect of Sales on inventory will take place after IDoc processing.

I hope this will clarify your question and let us know if you want to have more details.

Regards,

Amit

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

amit_tunara
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The purpose of POS DM is not to do real time inventory check and all. It is a centralized server for transactional data and after doing validation and aggregation, the data can be posted in one go.

You can use POS DM to collect Sales data from Stores from various location to a centralized POS DM server where you will execute certain task to generate aggregated IDocs which can be passed to SAP Retail.

Earlier POS DM was delivered in SAP BIBW as integrated part and now, POS DM 1.0 is delivered independently and not part of BI Suit.

HANA is a technology which helps you for faster data processing for all purpose. Inventory check is a report in SAP which can give inventory level at a given point of time. All other inventory transactions like GRN, stock transfer are updated instantaneously. The effect of Sales on inventory will take place after IDoc processing.

I hope this will clarify your question and let us know if you want to have more details.

Regards,

Amit

0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

If my client want the real time centralized inventory check, whats the function can be provided? since they are using third party POS and only send back data to back office once a day.

one more question, if we dont use POSDM, the speed of posting would be slower? any other advantage apply POSDM?

JC

0 Kudos

Hi,

Apart from Sales, all other inventory related transactions are real-time and they will reflect immediately after transaction. As you mentioned, Sales is sent once in a day, the impact of sales will be visible after Sales IDoc posting. So Centralized inventory check is a default feature of SAP and nothing to be done for that.

POS DM also provides a facility of centralized place to analyze or see the transactional data. Assume you have 100 stores and you need to do Remote login to each and every store if you want to check something related to transactional data. If you have POSDM, all the transactional data is available in POSDM centrally. So you can have visibility on all transactional data at one place. It also have feature of trickle-feed wherein the transactional data is pushed to POSDM at a fixed interval of time. This allows you to collect the transactional data throughout the day and do processing at night. If you do collection and processing in one go, it will take time.

Usage of POS DM will increase the speed of posting only because of pushing data from all stores separately, you are pushing only from a centralized POSDM. POS DM helps you validate and check the transactional data before they are being pushed to SAP Retail. It also have powerful features of doing aggregation of various combinations as per requirement. It also has a features of rules which we can use to validate business data for certain prerequisites. For example, if due to network issue, same transaction have been received twice, POSDM should consider only 1 instance for processing and keep the duplicate in error. Apart from this, POSDM also have Analytics for various reports on POS transactional data.

In Google or SAP's website, you can look for POS DM features and advantages. Please see below link:

SAP POS DM (SAP Point-of-Sale Data Management) - SAP for Retail - SCN Wiki

Regards,

Amit

0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Thank you for giving me clear pic.

1. Centralize real time inventory can be checked in POS DM or BW?

2. The interface between third party POS and POSDM should change to PIPE?

3. Any special requirement for the hardware? They using BW now.

4. I had go through some SAP POSDM document, they mention using HANA or MIM combine with POSDM for real time inventory?

Thanks

JC

0 Kudos

Hi,

The third party POS and POS DM should be integrated by a middleware or you should develop a Z ABAP program to upload the data in POS DM. PIPE is a functionality to distribute data from POSDM to various application. RFC will be used to connect POSDM and SAP ECC.

The middleware could be any integrator like SAP XI or TIBCO.

You can use MIM for real-time inventory check and I do not have idea about its usage considering Sales being posted only once.

Regards,

Amit

0 Kudos

Dear Amit

Please clarify me on the first point again

Centralize real time inventory can be checked in POS DM or BW?

1. Are the POSDM inventory movement posted in BW and posted in ECC are in sync ? what I mean to say is that there might be a time gap between data posted in BW and data posted in ECC ? then inventory report will give different picture in ECC and BW

2. POS system send sales, movement, FI related data to POSDM system. What about the movement data originated when external vendor supplied some goods to DC or store ? Are they also coming through POS system or directly posted into ECC ?

Thanks

Regards

Kishor

0 Kudos

Can someone please reply my concerns on inventory side ?

Thanks

Kishor

0 Kudos

Hi Kishor,

Sorry as I was away from SCN for sometime due to some work.

To answer your first question, ideally speaking the tasks in POSDM are not executed immediately and are run through a background job. So if this is the case, the data in ECC, BW and POS DM will not be sync. Please note that, the POS DM is not ECC and cannot record all inventory transactions like ECC. If you do GRN in POS, you can have an option to push that data directly to SAP ECC to have a real-time check on inventory. If the store people has an access to ECC, no need to push the data to anywhere as the transactions can be directly executed in ECC.

I hope this clarifies your queries.

Let me know if you need more information.

Regards,

Amit

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.