cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move SAP to a new SQL Instance on the same server

Former Member
0 Kudos

We currently have our QAS system (SID=ERQ) installed to the default instance on a 2 node MSCS cluster (Win2k3 Ent Ed, SQL 2005 Ent Ed).

We want to install a named instance of SQL server (instance name ERQ) and move the QAS system from the default instance to the named instance. Then we want to install another instance (SID=ERP) of SAP to the default instance on SQL server.

The reason for this is we to use our QAS system as a PRD backup. So in the event of a disaster, we would bring up the PRD system on the QAS hardware (we would bring down QAS in a disaster so they are not both running at once).

The reason we need to the have the PRD backup on the default instance is due to a limitation of SQL. We are using a produce called DoubleTake to replicate SQL data. To do a true replication source database must be installed on the same instance as the target SQL server instance. Also, the target instance cannot be active since SQL locks the system tables that need to be replicated.

So is it possible to install a new SQL instance, move our current QAS SID to the new SQL instance, then do another SAP install to the default instance on SQL using the same SID as our PRD system? Whew!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Drew,

Our company is reviewing products to use for our DR requirements, and one of the products we are reviewing is 'Doubletake'. We have a two-node MSCS cluster, running SAP 4.7, SQL 2000, Windows 2003. Can you share your thoughts with the product - pros and cons ? Our strategy is using the Doubletake product to have a server offsite, connected via a T1 line - syncing and compression of the data (system load) is a question and if failover is needed, performance over a T1 of recovery SQL log files from the "target" to the "source". We generate approx 3-5 gigs of logs daily - the T1 is not heavily utilized - thanks in advance.

former_member193399
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I am sure this can be done. I am a newbie so I have not performed this type of task before. You can try this in your sandbox environment first. The databse and its connection information for ABAP stack is in the DEFAULT.PFL. ABAP uses windows authentication to connect to SQL Server.

1) Stop the SAP instances running in the server.

2) Make a backup of the databse you want to move to another instance.

3) Restore the backed up database in your new instance.

4) Make changes to the following entries in the default.PFL of the <SID>.Also check these entries in the instance profile (<SID>_DVEBMGS01_<server_name>) to make sure nothing is overwritten from the DEFAULT.PFL

dbs/mss/server = <server_name\instance>

dbs/mss/dbname = <SID>

dbs/mss/schema = <six>

j2ee/dbtype = mss

j2ee/dbhost = <server_name\instance>

j2ee/dbname = <SID>

If you use JAVA AS also then launch the configtool.bat and click on "Secure Store" and change "jdbc/pool/<SID>/Url" to include the instance name i.e. "jdbc:nwmss:sqlserver://<sql_Server_Name>\<instance_name>;databasename=<db_name>".

I hope this helps!

RT

Message was edited by:

R.T.