cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pdf file problem '%PDF-'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a problem when I open some pdf file ( > 500 kb) <i>"cannot open '%PDF-' file corrupted".</i>

I have this problem only with <b>internet</b> connection through reverse proxy (apache - mod_proxy - and IIS - IISProxy-).

All it is ok if the logon comes carried out via Intranet (without reverse proxy).

My system : ep6 sp9 - was 640

Can anyone give some help?

Thanks,

Domenico

Message was edited by: Domenico Signorelli

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same problem and have done network traces on this and discovered that Acrobat requests a chunked response from the portal for large documents. This can be seen in the HTTP request header, for example I saw the following:

GET /irj/servlet/...

Range: bytes=542577-543600, 535409-542576, 1124-535408

J2EE completely ignores the chucked response request and instead returns the entire document. Apache however responds with only the requested part of the document. IE then gets confused and caches the partial document chunk, which results in the error. My guess is you only see the %PDF error the second time you try to load the document (assuming it isn't cached already). If you clear the cache and instead right click on the link and select download the file will be intacted. This appears to be an IE bug, as this works correctly on Firefox.

The solution I used was to tell Apache to ignore the range request header. This can be done as follows:

Enable the mod_headers module

Add the following line to your apache configuration:

RequestHeader unset range

Cheers,

Dale

jcvidaller
Participant
0 Kudos

You're right... that was the problem... _

I've added that line to the Apache's configuration and all it's working now...

Thanks a lot!!!

jc!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Domenico,

have you rearly solved this problem? Because you marked it as self solved.

Regards

Gregor

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have not still resolved the problem, unfortunately.

I have marked the resolved problem for error.

Regards,

Domenico

jcvidaller
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have the same problem and I don't know how to solve it. I've tried to change some HTTPProvider service using the Visual Administrator, but without any result. The parameters I've changed are: MinFileLengthForLongDataTransfer, NeverCompressed, FileBufferSize, ... Because I thought it was a compression problem or a Long Data Transfer mechanism problem...

How could we solve it?

Ah! And I've open a SAP message...

Regards,

jc!

jcvidaller
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I've solved this problem... may be it isn't the best solution, but now I don't have any problem with big pdf files.

Sometimes Acrobat Reader may not be properly displaying the PDF file within the browser. And I've found that, to solve this problem, Adobe recommends configuring Acrobat Reader as a 'helper', not a 'plug-in'. To configure Acrobat or Acrobat Reader as a helper application:

1.) Exit or close your browser.

2.) Start or open Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.

3.) Select your version of Acrobat and follow the instructions below.

Acrobat 6.0 or above on Windows:

1.) Select 'Preferences' from the Edit menu.

2.) From the Preferences dialog box, select 'Internet' from list on the left.

3.) Uncheck 'Display PDF in browser'.

Acrobat 5.0 on Windows:

1.) Select 'Preferences/General' from the Edit menu.

2.) From the Preferences dialog box, select 'Options' from list on the left.

3.) Uncheck 'Display PDF in Browser' under Web Browser Options.

Acrobat 4.0 on Windows:

1.) Select 'Preferences/General' from the File menu.

2.) From the General Preferences dialog box, select 'Options' from list on the left.

3.) Uncheck 'Web Browser Integration' under Options.

( I've found it at: http://www.aspplayground.net/forum/m_382719/printable.htm )

Now, when you click on a pdf link the file is opened outside the browser using the Acrobat Reader applicantion and without any problem.

I hope this helps you _

jc!