cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP DMS migration with revisions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I need to migrate documents to SAP DMS. We are planning to use revisions and versions. All of the documents should start with version 00, but I need to create them with the actual revision level from the legacy system (A, B, C, ...).

Now the issues I am facing:

Because we do not have much time we have to complete the migration as soon as possible. Engineering Change Management is planned to be used in the future, but if it is possible, we want to customize it after the migration.

Is it possible to migrate the documents and create a revision without ECM? Because I cannot generate a revision without Change number.

If it cannot be done without ECM, what is the best approach to migrate these files? Do I need a special change number under which I will release all of the documents? Or how to achieve this?

Is it possible to generate a revision without releasing the document? Because I will also have documents that are in status "In Work" and have a concrete revision level.

I am also wondering whether it is not better to use a temporary additional attribute for the revision. I will fill in this field during migration, and should be changed manually after a new release is created. Later if we activate and customize the ECM and new revisions will be created the user should pick a letter (for the standard ECM revision) which is after this temporary revision attribute. But there will be 2 fields with the same information, and this is also not a good concept.

Any input/advise on this issue will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Steve

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member561828
Participant
0 Kudos

Stefan

Your asking several questions.  I can provide some recommendations.

Using Version and Revision is complex but offers some advantages.   If your business needs this, it can be support with the DIR object.

First question: can ECM configuration be changed after initial load of DIR - Yes.  In fact you may determine that disabling ECM (in configuration) during initial data load is desirable.  Enable once data is loaded.

On the other hand, ECM may not impact your load.  It's common to use 1 ECN during the load, therefore you have a full record in ECM of the DIR loaded, dates etc.  I have also seen where a unique ID is used during loaded to avoid future problems with user management.  All DIR get stamped with a record of the user.  (not really ideal but is what it is).

Setting revision can be done using a program.  I believe Seal Systems (and others) provide general purpose programs for DIR loading including setting version and revision along with check in of the files etc.

Answers (0)