SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch Management in SAP Retail

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

We were trying the configure the batch management for a group of article,

We have assigned the article to the class type and class in CL24N, But when we try to create the batch in MSC1N, it is throwing an error,

Article xxxxx is not handled in batches in site XXXX

Can any one help in solving the above error, Please tell if we are missing any pre-requisites

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Easaw

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tobias_König
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

in my opinion, you have to mark the article in the corresponding plant, where you want to create the batch, to be handled in batches.

Field MARC-XCHPF.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Tobias

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Tobias_König
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

in my opinion, you have to mark the article in the corresponding plant, where you want to create the batch, to be handled in batches.

Field MARC-XCHPF.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Tobias

0 Kudos

Hi Koenig,

Thanks for the reply,

I have already enabled the Batch record requirement in the basic view of the article master. But when I checked the table MARA and field-XCHPF, it has not get updated,

what could be the reason for this?

Thanks

Regards,  

Kevin Easaw

0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

I'm no expert in batch management. But I think, in customizing for batch management, you have the possibility to set the batch level (table TCUCH) [site level, article level, client level].

If you set the level to article level, field value of MARA-XCHPF is copied to MARC-XCHPF. Honestly, I have no idea why it isn't working in your case.

Regards

Tobias

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I am configuring Batch management for the first time, so am also not aware of the major settings,

I have checked the table provided by you, TCUCH

Attached is the screen shot of the Table

2nd line batch definition zero means batch is unique at site level

3rd line Batch deifinition  old zero means batch is unique at article level

Can any one help in the difference between the batch definition and batch definition old(2nd and 3rd line in the pic)

Can we make changes to these settings, if yes, where it can be changed,

Thanks in Advance

Kevin Easaw

0 Kudos

Hi

See the document http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-5532 with the title "Batch activation" by Madhu Arambakam

Regards

Eduardo

0 Kudos

Hi hinojosa,

Thanks for sharing the document.

I have went throught this earlier. 

Regards,

Kevin Easaw

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Batch management is used to identify one lot of production from another. This helps in tracking the lots during their life-cycle, as well as recording the unique characteristics of each lot. For instance, the expiry date or date of production of 2 lots can be different.

Batch Management can be applied to both process and discrete manufacturing industry. It is tightly integrated with all business processes viz., procurement, manufacturing, sales and inventory management. Some of the prominent functionalities supported as part of standard SAP batch management process are as under:
• Batch Specification / Classification - Classes can be defined for a batch and characteristic values can be entered accordingly.
• Auto Batch Creation – Batches can be configured to be automatically created as part of certain standard SAP processes.
• Batch Determination - This provides an automatic batch search technique based on pre-defined criteria. It is useful during Goods Issue and SAP condition technique is used to configure this. It also helps in searching for batches using specifications.
• Batch Status - it specifies whether the batch is active, can be used further etc.

I have attached process note for configuration of Batch in SAP please go through it....

Also refer below link for more understanding on batch management in SAP....

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/25/28428b4f7811d18a150000e816ae6e/frameset.htm

Hope you will find it useful....

BR

Ajaya Kr. Mishra

0 Kudos

Hi Mishra,

Thanks for the link and XML

I have basic question, we will be defining the batch level in SPRO, Is the batch level definition is a one time activity or we can change the batch level depending upon the requirement.

Thanks In Advance

Kevin Easaw

0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Please refer below

You can manage batches in different plants for many materials. For this reason, batches must be uniquely identifiable. In the SAP System, the batch number uniquely identifies the batch. You use the batch level to specify whether the batch number for a material is unique in one plant, or in all plants.

Prerequisites

You choose the batch level in Customizing for Batch Management under Specify Batch Level and Activate Status Management.

Features

Batch Levels

• Plant level
    The batch number is unique in connection with the plant and material.

The batch number is only known in the plant in which it was created if the stock is transferred to another plant, the batch is unknown in the recipient plant and the system does not adopt any data. You have to recreate and specify the batch in the receiving plant; that is, the same batch number may have different specifications in several plants.

• Material level:
    The batch number is unique in all plants in connection with the material.

The same batch number has the same meaning for the material in all plants. One batch number cannot have different specifications in different plants. During stock transfer to another plant, the specification of the batch is known in the destination plant even if the batch is placed into storage in that plant for the first time.

• Client level:
    The batch number is unique in the whole client. A batch number can only be assigned once in the client. You cannot assign the same batch number for different materials.

The batch number is only unique at the chosen level. 

For more information about batch numbers, refer to

Batch Number Assignment. 

Changing the Batch Level

In the standard SAP System, the plant level is set as the batch level. If you want to use a different level in your company, you have to change it in Customizing and carry out a conversion program.

You choose the batch level in Customizing for Batch Management under Specify Batch Level and Activate Status Management.

• While the conversion program is running, you can only post batches at the old level. You can only post batches at the new level after the conversion has been completed. 
  • You cannot change back from a higher level to plant level in the standard system. However, you can change the batch level from client level back to material level. 
  • To change the batch level from plant level to material level, the material has to be subject to batch management in all plants.

Leaving content frame

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus,

Any updates??

In OMS9 I have made the Field MARA-XCHPF as required for the corresponding filed group(assigned to the article type)

But when in the article master basic data batch management is not getting updated.

Only the MARA-XGCHP is displaying

Displayed the image

Any pre-requiste to be done for the filed MARA-XCHPF to display it in the article master record?

Thanks in Advance

Kevin Easaw

0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

as said before, I have no idea why the copying is not working in your system. In the system I have, it works.

The display of the fields MARA-XCHPF and MARC-XCHPF should depend on the settings of the batch level (table TCUCH) [site level, article level, client level].

If this setting is on "arcticle level" only MARA-XCHPF is displayed in MM4x, if the setting is on "site level", MARC-XCHPF is displayed in MM4x.

Regards

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Thanks for helping me in solving out the issue..

I have completed the configuration using the SAP best practice document-117

I have created the characteristics and classes as per the document. but when i tried to create batch master record using MSC1N, I am not able to choose the characteristics defined for the class,?

Instead I have manually given a batch number in MSC1N and saved the record,

Second question, In Purchase order page you could see the batch number in the article data view(Item detail Tab), there u could see creation of internal batch number. can any one give some information on the that, When i tried its throwing "Error in number assignment" .Even the internal number assignment is active.

Attached is the Pic

Thanks in Advance

Kevin Easaw