cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I close an Open PDF form without crashing the browser

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We have build a webdynpro application in Java. In this application, we are make using of the Interactive form to bring up a PDF form that the users can print. Our issue is that no matter what approach we take there is no gracefull way to exit once the PDF is displayed.

Here are the approaches we took.

1) Embed the PDF in the existing Window. The form comes up correctly with all fields, but there is no way to get out from it. A browser back doesnt help, nor is there a default close button in the PDF window.

2) Bring up the PDF on a separate window.The PDF does come up fine on this new window. We were hoping to use the window.destroyInstanece() method on this new window to both close the window and gracefully exit the PDF form. This too dint quite work out and resulted in a browser crash.

I am sure others must have faced a similar problem. Are there any suggestions on how we can handle this. I found a few other posts with similar issues but no clear answers.

We are using Adobe 7.0.9 Reader on the client end.

Regards

Aju Paul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

knighttommy
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have been working with Aju on this issue. We are still experiencing the issue.

We have tried using the destroyWindow() method and using a fireplug to redirect the application. When we have an Interactive form embedded on one of the views in the window, the application will cause a browser crash when we try to destroy popup window or redirect the applicaiton.

If we remove the Interactive form from the view, we can destroy the window and we can redirect the application. The problem only occurs when the Interactive form is present.

We have recently upgraded our server to SP10. I have also reloaded the ACF on my pc. Neither of the steps resolved the issue. What else can we look at to see what may be causing the issue.

Thanks.....Tommy Knight

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a similar issue with SAP Interactive Forms where some users are unable to close the PDF browser window after viewing it

There's no way to close the browser window that opens except shutting down the computer

I appreciate if you can provide some insight if you have already resolved the issue

Thanks,

Kiran

i042339
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Update your Adobe Reader to 8.1.1, your problem will be resolved.

i042339
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Can you please update the forum whether you have solved your issue or not?

Cheers

Satya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Create the view where you want to go back with an inbound plug. Create outbound plug on the form view. Connect both the views with navigation link. Have a back button or any other button you want on form view. In the button action method, say

wdThis.wdFirePlugxxxxxx( );

where xxxxx is your view where you want to go back.

sankar_narayana
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Can u try by keeping back button in the view and or in the pdf and write action for that back button.In the implementation part fire plug to previous view by creating outbound plug and inbound plug

Former Member
0 Kudos

This not solve the problem. The web browser is crashed when back button is pressed to go previous view. Other solution please...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

1. The 'Back' button in your browser is certainly inefficient as the address of your WD application doesn't change.

2. Navigation between various views should be possible without any additional coding. There must be some problem with the ACF or with the Reader installation. A reinstallation (Reader + ACF with correct version) will probably fix your issue.

Regards,

Francois

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi, in the point 2, the reinstallation should do will at server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

We are on SP8 , If my understanding is true at this version and higher we donot need ACF . SAP makes use of ZCI . They talk about setting the layout to ZCI in their notes. I have been able to see that in the ABAP Stack ( Transaction SPF ). But when you are designing it in Java, I donot see where I can set the layout attribute.

Any ideas ???

Aju

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do the reinstallation for the clients only. Use latest version of xACF for your NW version and Reader 7.0.9.

ZCI is available as from NW04s SP11; for SP10 there will be patches to use this functionality.

Regards,

Francois