cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SWPM on Windows Server 2008/2012

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have an issue which I have failed to find the cause of. I have searched only and have not yet found a post which could help me. If there does exist something like that, than please bare with me.

I have recently installed a new Windows Server 2012 server and have started Software Provisioning Manager. The first steps are fine, when I come to the step called "Software Package Request" (the step where the installation want to gather the installation media) and I press "Browse" (to be able to browse the file system) I can only see my local drives C: and E:      I have also mapped up a network drive where the share resides on another file server - but I can't see it in the list. I have tried several things, like mapping the network drive with different users, starting SWPM in elevated mode etc.. but still no luck. I see the same in Windows Server 2008.

Windows Server 2003 works fine (just tested). I think there is something I have missed in the user context area.

Is there anybody out there who can help me?

I would be very glad if there is 🙂

- Tom

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The problem is related to UAC - User Account Control - an security layer (please do not comment this, because there is a lot of discussions about it).

With the standard UAC settings an elevated process (started with run as administrator or elevated via an request elevation popup) has a different security context as a non elevated process.
Hence they also have their own set of Network Drive Letters.

So you have one set of drive letters (D: to Z: if you have only C: as a local drive) for elevated processes and a second one (D: to Z:) for unelevated processes.

This means that a network drive letter created non elevated (for example using the Explorer) are not visible to a process started elevated (all installers needed to be started elevated).

Best practices (select one of below listed options):

1. create the network drives you want to use in SWPM in a elevated cmd.exe or powershell using the
       net use x: \\host\share
    command. Typically you will create the same driveletters for the same destinations.
  2. directly access the share instead of using Network Drive Letters by specifying \\host\share instead of a drive letter
  3. use symbolic links on a local directory to access remote directories:
    (in a elevated cmd.exe run following command)
       mklink /d c:\kernel \\host\share\location_of_KernelDVD

kind regards

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much! I was sure there was something in this area which I had missed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thommas,

I have done a small analysis on this issue. I found that there are two ways here.

One way as mentioned by Peter Simon.

2nd way, The user which you are using for installation should have admin rights and the shared drive should be mapped as a drive.

Peter Simonneed your valuable feedback on this.

Regards

Sudhir Sadhu

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Its not advisable to perform installation from shared drive.

But still you wish that if allowing in 2003 then has to allow on 2012.

Regards,

Nikunj Thaker

Former Member
0 Kudos

well, it is sometimes easier to copy the DVD to local directories (specially if you need additional credentials to access the shares).

But shared drive is still working and supported.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thommas,

Did you check this note ?

1680045 - Release Note for Software Provisioning Manager 1.0

If you didn't check it please check this once. It might be helpful to you.

Regards

Sudhir Sadhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes I have read that note, but I could not find anything relevant to my issue.

Did you see anything that is relevant?

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thommas,

Try the latest SWPM related to your installation. Still if you face the problem then as

Nikunj Thaker said it might not detect the shared drive by the SWPM.

Regards

Sudhir Sadhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have tried the latest SWPM, without luck unfortunately.

Have also asked SAP Support and they replied that I should use the local drive instead.

Currently it seems like this is the solution.

But I am still curious if anybody has gotten this to work at all... because I am certain that it should be possible.

Regards,

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thommas,

Thanks for the update. As you said that option might be available in old versions but in further versions they had removed it. As the SAP support mentioned it is not possible using shared drives you can proceed your installation by copying them into local drive.

All the best for your installation

Regards

Sudhir Sadhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

once again:

The phenomenon has nothing to do with SWPM.

This is standard behavior since Windows 2008.

Details see below.

regards

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the update. Today learnt a new point from you

Regards

Sudhir Sadhu