cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Transportation Management for Airlines Industry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

Just wanted to ask for your views and opinions about implementing SAP TM for the Airline and Freight Industry?

(with respect to SAP'S capabilities and features)
If Implemented, Do you guys think SAP TM will be able to meet the needs/requirements of the said industries?

Thank you.
Ayan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP TM performs very well in this aspect.. DHL is implementing SAP TM for their Air Freight scenarios

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow, that is very surprising, thank you for that information! will now look further into SAP TM and the available features for the freight industry.

Thank you very much Murugesh!
Ayan.

0 Kudos

Hi Ayan,

Linfox has their TM system go-alive successfully in 2012. The TM cover most of the business scenario, however CDP is a must to satisfy the individual requirement.

Gary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gary,

We currently have multiple erp systems running for the different industries that the company has to offer and we are looking into SAPs capability in the airline/freight industry so we can use SAP as the only erp system for the entire group of companies, therefore minimizing the costs.

But in case SAP TM doesn't prove to be enough for the industry's demands, we'll look into Linfox as an alternative.

Thank you Very much Gary!
Ayan.

bernd_dittrich
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Maybe that´s a bit of misunderstanding, Linfox is a trucking company in Australia, they implemented SAP TM enriched with some enhancements by SAP custom development. Hope this clarifies.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for that clarification! i thought he meant a TM created by Linfox..

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

I believe we need to understand the difference between Air Freight Forwarding business (For e.g. DHL, Panalpina) vs Cargo Airline business (For e.g. Cargolux, Lufthansa Cargo, SIA Cargo).

While significant functionality is added to SAP TM for Air Freight Forwarding business in TM9.0 & TM9.1, I am not sure the same holds good for Cargo Airline business whose order booking, manifesting, regulatory documentation requirements are quite different from forwarding business.

To draw a parallel, there is significant difference in the way SAP TM is implemented for Ocean Freight Forwarding for DHL and Ocean Liner company NOL. While TM9.0 was a good fit for the former, it required significant SAP CDP for the latter.

I am not saying SAP TM isn't a good fit for Cargo Airliners, but it won't be plug and play and will require significant custom development. Luckily, one of the core strengths of TM is its extensibility that comes with the BOPF architecture.

I am quite keen to know if there have been any SAP TM implementations for Cargo Airliners so far.

Former Member
0 Kudos

On Transportation Management with SAP TM - SAP PRESS Bookstore there is a session dedicated to air freight forwarding.

Regards

Eduardo Chagas

d019838
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Panalpina is also implementing TM for their global airfreight business.

SAP offers a comprehensive solution to cover airfreight > TM release 9.0 was enhanced considerably to extend order management, freight planning and setllement to cover the specifics for airfreight. Also further enhancements are coming with the next Release TM 9.1.

Here a high level overview of some of the coverage offered by SAP TM 9.0 for airfreight transportation.

I recommend that you look at the documentation - specifically the "What's New release Notes" here  https://websmp109.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000742439&_SCENARIO=011000358700000002... for SAP TM 9.0 & 9.1 releases.

If you are a customer or partner from SAP already, then you can also access and read the Airfreight scenario documentation, that gives a very good overview of the coverage of the TM offering for airfreight processes.This is located on the SAP Support portal (for which you will need your ID) here: https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000764028&_SCENARIO=011000358700000002...

Please select both the "Scenario descriptions" & the "Scenraio configuration guides" sections > then "Airfreight".

Best wishes,

Natalie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Natalie,

WOW! Just viewed the documents online and i'm already excited to download and go through the whole documents! Thank you very much for those links! i will read those documents as soon as i finish the other documents
This just might be the answer to my prayers! haha..

Thanks again Natalie!
Ayan,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Btw, may i ask where you got the images you posted here? they would be really helpful for my presentation..

d019838
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I did the slides a year back to position the innovations for TM 9.0 > so that's where I got them.

I can submit the presrentations to SCN for upload > however> they will be published as .pdf.

If you need to use them, I propose you embed the images in your slide deck.

d019838
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Actually these slides are already published in SCN > see here

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much Natalie! this presentation of your is such a big help for our research! Thanks again!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for your documents, Natalie!

Best Regards,

DHL.