cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AE vs AAE vs AEX - Proxy sender, iDoc Sender

former_member198060
Participant

Dear experts,

I am utterly confused about the different abbreviations when it comes to PI installations. Would you be so kind to explain what the difference is between AE, AAE and AEX?

From my current understanding AE means classic dual stack, AAE would be processing on ICO on a dual stack and AEX would be processing on ICO on a single stack.. is this assumption correct?

Another question is about proxy and idoc senders. As I understand on a dual stack we don't need to configure CCs and sender agreements for them as there is communication between the two integration servers directly. The R3 integration server knows the PI integration server and communicates with it directly.

Now on a single stack we don't have an integration server anymore, meaning that the R3 integration server cannot talk to PI directly. Therefore for proxy we are creating a new destination on R3, pointing to the soap channel of PI. On PI we now need to configure a soap sender adapter using the XI protocol in order to receive the proxy messages. Is this right? Did I missunderstand or miss an important step?

For idoc sender I am not sure how it is working now yet as I have no system to test this on. Could you please from your experience say what the biggest differences are?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ajeyagv
Participant

Hello Peter,

>>From my current understanding AE means classic dual stack, AAE would be processing on ICO on a dual stack and AEX would be processing on ICO on a single stack.. is this assumption correct? - AE means Adapter Engine and from XI 3.0 till PI 7.0 ( I think), SAP PI had AE and IE in Integration Server.

AAE means Advanced Adapter Engine has been in SAP PI from 7.1 version onwards. It is same as AE but it has some additional abilities like you mentioned. It can do processing all by itself by bypassing the usage of IE ( for a few scenarios this wouldn't work. For ex, IDoc and HTTP scenarios). Here in some scenarios, there was no need for IE but then again AAE wasn't completely independent of IE in some other scenarios. That''s where the difference lie between AAE and AEX. AEX doesn't need any involvement from IE at all. In fact, you will find AEX only in single stack wherein there is no IE at all.

>>For idoc sender I am not sure how it is working now yet as I have no system to test this on. Could you please from your experience say what the biggest differences are? Same as Proxy scenarios. Only difference is performance issue. With Proxy, bulk data sending takes less time.

Hope this was helpful.

-Ajeya

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter

From my current understanding AE means classic dual stack, AAE would be processing on ICO on a dual stack and AEX would be processing on ICO on a single stack.. is this assumption correct?

Yes your assumption is correct.

Now on a single stack we don't have an integration server anymore, meaning that the R3 integration server cannot talk to PI directly. Therefore for proxy we are creating a new destination on R3, pointing to the soap channel of PI. On PI we now need to configure a soap sender adapter using the XI protocol in order to receive the proxy messages. Is this right? Did I missunderstand or miss an important step?

Yes you are right. On the ECC side we need to add two more activities

1. Create send receive step using transaction SXMSIF

2. using transaction sxmb_adm, we need to maintain this send/receive step in runtime

Details are mentioned in this document

http://scn.sap.com/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2012/01/19/michals-pi-tips-how-do-you-activate-abap-...

for Idoc

We have the java adapter in AEX, which we can use. Check the document below

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-34155

gagandeep_batra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter

From my current understanding AE means classic dual stack, AAE would be processing on ICO on a dual stack and AEX would be processing on ICO on a single stack.. is this assumption correct

Yes you are right

for proxy we are creating a new destination on R3, pointing to the soap channel of PI. On PI we now need to configure a soap sender adapter using the XI protocol in order to receive the proxy messages. Is this right? Did I missunderstand or miss an important step

Yes Again you are right!!

For idoc sender I am not sure how it is working now yet as I have no system to test this on. Could you please from your experience say what the biggest differences are?

same as  proxy for idoc also in AEX you have to create Sender CC and define in ICO.

check below blog: