Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Hierarchy

former_member219259
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to understand the concept of having  two different field in Material master for Product hierarchy

One under Basic Data1 and other under SalesOrg2.

Whats the need of having it under general view as well as Sales Org View?

Can it be different in any case?

If yes, please provide a business example for same

Thanks,

Aayush Jain

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Product hierarchy defines the product and its composition. In a sales cycle, after billing document a PA (profitability analysis) document is created in which product hierarchy is populated and used in CO-PA reporting.

By assigning the hierarchy number to the material, one can determine a classification of the material. This hierarchy can be used in pricing with each level being used as a field in the condition technique.

Product Hierarchy is used for Profitability Analysis and also in Sales Reporting based on PH. In the standard system, the product hierarchy consists of up to 3 levels. The first and second levels have 5 digits each and the third level has 8. The maximum number of digits are 18 (Calles 5/5/8 Schema).In Standard SAP, the product hierarchy in the Basic and Sales Org2 views are in Edit mode and not necessarily to be the same .The product hierarchy in basic data deals with Sales reporting within the organization and in sales org2 deals with Profitability Analysis with respect to Pricing.

In my current Project, these have to be the same. We have a Z_programme that runs daily in the background to copy the PH in Basic Data (MARA) to Sales view 2 (MVKE) to make sure that both are same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sailendu,

We do have similar requirement,  copy the PH in Basic Data (MARA) to Sales view 2 (MVKE) to make sure that both are same for all the sales orgs.

Can you please share the code or what FM do you used to update?

Thanks,

Vinod.

former_member219259
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Any idea about this question.

Regards,

Aayush Jain

SAP SD Consultant

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you try with SAP F1 Help in materiel master for respective fields? In my opinion that is self explanatory. Can you explain, what you don't understand in that?

Thanks, JP

former_member219259
Participant
0 Kudos

The F1 help is same for both the fields, i need to know in which case the product hierarchy can be different in general data and sales org data.

Regards,

Aayush Jain

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Frankly, I don't believe you. What version of ECC you are using? Further, whatever is there in SAP F1 Help that is already briefly explained "Dee Sea".

Anyway, what is your layman understanding about product hierarchy?

Thanks,

JP

former_member205178
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

JP has tried to expand what I have told you briefly.

I do understand that the help is the same in both the places.

I believe if you use some real world examples may be you will understand it better. I am sure you understand the Basic Data Screens in the Material Master are applicable for a whole host of Material Types and each material type represents a particular usage of a particular material.

The above usage means this field is very open for interpretation and usage. Also your Domain Industry Experience can help you to apply the usage. Nobody said, SAP is easy to understand.

I will make one attempt to explain what I think is the usage.

• Non Stock Materials[they do not have Sales Views]
  • Finished Products [have sales views]

have different usages as the names themselves say.

The way the Non Stock Materials can be used grouped in a hierarchy could be different than the way the Finished Products can be grouped. So there you may have the same field but use it differently and attach them in different views.

I cannot do better than that. You also know that this is a voluntary forum so having the right expectations from members may help too.

You have a good one.

Thanks.

former_member205178
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Product Hierarchy in the Sales View is to categorize Products based on their Characteristics and Grouping from a Sales point of view like for example -> Pricing, Reporting, Etc. 

I have not used Product Hierarchy from the Basic Data Views, but from what I read in the help, which you can do too, is that it is used for mapping Hierarchy of Competitor Products for Marketing Purposes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

former_member219259
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your response but still does not answer my question for having it at two places.

Regards,

Aayush Jain

SAP SD Consultant