cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade MSS portal database from Oracle 9.2.0.6 to 11g

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

The environment I am describing is 32 bit Windows.

Our SAP Portal system is still running Oracle 9.2.0.6.  I need to get this upgraded to 11g & I'm not clear which is the best route to follow  to do this.

I have seen documentation which says that a direct upgrade from as old as 9.2.0.4 to 11g is supported but other documentation seems to imply that the earliest which is supported is 9.2.0.8.

I have also recently upgraded on Widnows from 10.2.0.1 to 11g & discovered that I needed to go to 10.2.0.2 before I could move to 11g - this wasn't in any documentation I saw  until the error occurred & I searched explicitly for a solution.

Does anyone have experience of this & can you offer any advice?

The database on our portal system is , as far as  I understand it, only used to hold user information.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris

For the versions of Oracle DB , which you can directly go to Oracle 11G , in 9i , it needs to be minimum 9.2.0.8  and in oracle 10g R2 , it needs to be 10.2.0.2 ...

Please see the following oracle documentation which is detailing about the steps and options for the upgrade - mainly DBUA , manual steps and also the export import facility . 

Preparing to Upgrade Oracle Database

Export / Import using the Oracle Data Pump is generally recommended for 10g databases which are being migrated to 11g.

Thanks

Rishi

Former Member

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Please read the Oracle upgrade guide.

It contains all the information you require.

http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=00200797470000089041&_SCENARIO=01100035870000000202&_O...

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies - all useful advice.  I'll plan to go to 9.2.0.8 & then to 11g.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do an Oracle patching first (to 9.2.0.8) and then do a inplace upgrade.

It is faster than exp/imp.

Regards,

Nick Loy