cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Recovery

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We lost eight(8) production archive files because of backup failure through HP Data protector

We are using the archive for DR restoration but now it's causing inconsistency and restoration is not possible.

Currently my DR is in stable condition till 4~5 day ago situation, now i need point in time recovery on DR server without lost archives.

Currently I have last week cold backup+yesterday online backup+archive after online backups.

Can you please suggest that it's possible to restore online backup on current situation using DP or I need to go through complete recovery procedure.

Either suggest the alternate way of point in time recovery.

Regards,

Vinay Shrimali

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We recovered from latest available (Online+Arch) logs, Thanks from your suggestion.

Regards,

Vinay Shrimali

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

If I understood correctly - You lost few of the archive logs hence you are not able to sync your database between primary and secondary.

Then why you want to recover your database on secondary?

I think your primary is working absolutely fine, then just take a fresh backup (online +archive log) and restore the same on secondary (DR site). It will restore full database into target then do post restore steps (enabling log shipping etc.).

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay

If you have the Online Backup and all the archive logs since that , then you can use that backup for restore  in the DR site and then apply the logs and activate the log shipping as per the usual process in your environment.

Since some Logs are missing , hence you need to do another DB recovery as the current database in the DR site , will be not be able to be in sync with the actual PROD system ...

Thanks

Rishi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rishi,

Is it possible to apply online backup directly through DP on current DR server?

And if possible then should i need to do any manual steps before staring of backup...

Regards,

Vinay Shrimali

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

just four little words: "Too much less information". Unfortunately we have no crystal ball and you have provided nearly no information at all, not even the database version.

• What is your exact used database version?
  • What kind of database backup (i do not mean offline or online) do you use?
  • What do you mean with shortcut "DR"? Your topic header states "database recovery", but your text itself hypothesize, that it means disaster recovery. You have a bunch of options, if you are talking about a disaster recovery site.
  • What is your exact situation (in both cases)?

> Is it possible to apply online backup directly through DP on current DR server?

Assuming that you are talking about disaster recovery with a working primary site, "right" database version and "right" kind of backup - you can use a procedure called "RMAN Incremental Backups to Roll Forward a Physical Standby Database" without the need of archive logs at all.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Sorry for providing less information during posting the message, please find the required information as you mention –

1. What is your exact used database version?
  • Database version is oracle 11.2.0.3.0
  1. What kind of database backup (i do not mean offline or online) do you use?
  • I don’t understand the question but we are using the backup tool which is HP DP V 7.0
  1. What do you mean with shortcut "DR"? Your topic header states "database recovery", but your text itself hypothesize, that it means disaster recovery. You have a bunch of options, if you are talking about a disaster recovery site.
  • Yes, I am talking about disaster recovery site, which is the same environment as primary site.
  1. What is your exact situation (in both cases)?
  • Normally we are manually apply the archives in disaster recovery site but since last backup we lost some of archives so I am looking for the option to build up the disaster recovery site as normal.

Regards,

Vinay Shrimali

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

thank you for providing the necessary information.

> I don’t understand the question but we are using the backup tool which is HP DP V 7.0

HP Data Protector is just the MML (media management library) / third party backup software. You can perform Oracle database backups the old "OS based" fashion way or you can use Oracle RMAN. In case of Oracle RMAN there are possibilities for full backup, level 0 full backup, incremental backup, etc.

> but since last backup we lost some of archives so I am looking for the option to build up the disaster recovery site as normal.

.. then my previous suggestion is the way to go: RMAN Incremental Backups to Roll Forward a Physical Standby Database

Regards

Stefan