Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP JAVA GUI (7.30rev5) not running as an applet on Java up from 7u45

peter_kueppers
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I Installed SAP JAVA GUI (recent version 7.30rev5) on Linux with recommended Oracle Java (recent version Java SE 7u45).

The Java GUI works fine as standalone, but fails to run as an applet in a browser (e.g. Firefox).

Starting the applet html, I get the following steps:

• I'm asked to activate Java(TM) plugin
  • I'm asked to run com.sap.platin.GuiApplet2
  • then I get the error 'RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException'

I tried to use different versions of SAP Java GUI, Oracle Java versions (up to Java 😎 and Java Sources.

The only solution to get the applet running is to downgrade to Java version 7u40. Since this is not save anymore, I'm not satisfied.

I found hints why this is not working (Java security changes):

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-49944

http://www.segal.org/java/SignedAppletTest/

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1831420

There are workarounds, but they seem not to work.

Even I don't use the Java GUI as an applet, it would be interesting to know, if other Javva applications are affected too and if there is a solution yet.

Thanks

Peter

• SAP Managed Tags:
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the following java bug: http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=JDK-8027396. It seems to be very explanatory.

• SAP Managed Tags:
19 REPLIES 19

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

we are able to run SAP GUI for Java 7.30 rev 6 with Java SE 7u45 in FF with on Ubuntu 12.04 for example.

Please double check which version your applet codebase on the web server has. Old versions of GuiStartS.jar might be the reason.

In case even running against a 7.30 rev 6 code base on the web server fails, please create a support message on component BC-FES-JAV.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hello Rolf-Martin,

thanks for your answer.

I installed now 'spick-and-span' SAP GUI for Java 7.30 rev 6, but I've still the same effect.

I'm running on the client:

- Java JRE 7u45 from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html (jre-7u45-linux-x64.rpm)

- Firefox 26.0

- openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64)

- C++ runtime: libstdc++.so.6

(everything recommended in the SAP GUI Java documentation, except the version of openSUSE, which is older than recommended 12.3 or 13.1)

If I test the constellation above with the 'SignedAppletTest' from http://www.segal.org/java/SignedAppletTest, I get the same error.

I included logs from the java console (with 7u45 and error, 7u40 without error).

Opening a support message is maybe too much effort. I use the Java GUI only as a 'sandbox client' and using it standalone is OK for me. I don’t need the applet.

But the error is still mysterious...

Thanks a lot

Peter

• SAP Managed Tags:

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

the SignedAppletTest works on our test machine using Java JRE 7u45.

Btw, what is the version of the codebase on the web server, you are launching the applet from?

If you access the folder of the codebase on the web server's file system you can execute

java -cp GuiStartS.jar com.sap.platin.micro.Version

to get the version info.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hello Rolf-Martin,

java -cp GuiStartS.jar com.sap.platin.micro.Version says:

Version type            : 1

Numeric Version         : A073000040600

Short Version           : 7.30rev6

Long Version            : 7.30 rev 6

Short Name              : SAP GUI

Long Name               : SAP GUI for Java

Compressed Product Name : SAPGUI7.30rev6

Long Product Name       : SAP GUI 7.30 rev 6

Full Product Name       : SAP GUI for Java 7.30 rev 6

Official Product Name   : SAP GUI for the Java Environment 7.30 rev 6

Cheers

Peter

• SAP Managed Tags:

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

so you have the correct version of GuiStartS.jar, both SAP GUI for Java and SignedAppletTest do not work.

In our test environment, both SAP GUI for Java and SignedAppletTest work.

We both have JRE 7u45. If I knew, what the difference is which results in the failures in your case, I would tell you.

I agree, this is mysterious.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you share your html file to launch Java GUI as applet?

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hi Roman,

thanx a lot, I attached my html (as text).

Cheers

Peter

• SAP Managed Tags:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the following java bug: http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=JDK-8027396. It seems to be very explanatory.

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hi again Roman,

I had a closer look in http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=JDK-8027396 and I'll try to use 7u51 (as it is said: should be fixed in 7u51 now).

Let you know, if it works for me.

Cheers

Peter

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

I tried to do the same with 7u51 but now I faced with another problem during connecting to the system:

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied ("javax.security.auth.AuthPermission" "doAsPrivileged")

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hello Roman,

yes, same for me:

Steps:

- start with applet-html

- browser embedded question: Activate Java?

- popup: Execute SAP GUI for Java 7.30 rev6?

- popup: Security access violation: Access violation while opening connection

in Java Console (Log): java.security.AccessControlException: access denied ("java.util.PropertyPermission" "Theme" "read")

strange...

Peter

• SAP Managed Tags:

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Roman, Peter,

indeed, Oracle is continuing their tradition with each Java update, to change something in the Java runtime which causes issues in SAPGUI for Java.

We are currently investigating what has changed and a hopefully possible workaround for this. For now, the only workaround is to go back to an older version of Java 7.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags:

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Update:

The issue is related to a change with the Java Cache.

When disabling the Java cache in the Java Control Panel  (Temporary Internet Files / Settings), it works using Java 7 update 51.

Nevertheless, we are further investigating it and try to find a way to make this work without switching off the Java cache.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hello Rolf-Martin,

I tried it also with 7u51 and cache disabled.

The error 'Access violation while opening connection' disappeared, but unfortunately the initial error 'RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException' is back now.

Thank's for all the effort

Peter

• SAP Managed Tags:

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

it seems like I have overlooked one detail in the java console output you have provided. You are launching the applet from your file system (file-url), not from a web server (http(s)-url) ?

In deed, launching it from the file system, I get the same java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException exception.

But for what reason starting an applet locally? Could you try to start the applet from a web server?

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

But for what reason starting an applet locally? Could you try to start the applet from a web server?

Simply to evaluate functionality. From SAP GUI for Java documentation:

"Unlike most Java applets, the SAPGUI for the Java Envioronment applet requires installation on the front-end computer in order to work. This is necessary because of the native libraries used within SAPGUI."

What benefits you have when running applet from a web server instead of locally?

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hello Rolf-Martin,

as I wrote before, I use the Java GUI only as a 'sandbox client'.

So, the applet-html is called over NFS on the 'sandbox-server', which is not a web-server (contains SAP-sandbox only).

Up to 7u40 this worked fine, up from 7u45 not.

As I said, this is not a problem, cause using it standalone is OK for me. I don't need the applet.

Thanks and Cheers

Peter

• SAP Managed Tags:

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

file system based and web server based applet do not behave identical and we often have seen different issues comparing both scenarios, in particular in the case of the bug introduced in J7u45.

The typical usage of SAP GUI for Java as an applet is Web Deployment and Portal Integration, but not running as an applet from the file system.

Btw, the SAP GUI for Java 7.30 is running with a security manager enabled. So in principle the same rules as for running the SAP GUI for Java as an applet imply. For details, please refer to 6.5 Security Policy of the manual.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hello Rolf-Martin,

thanks for the explanation and hint to the documentation.

So I marked the post as answered.

Thanks and Cheers

Peter

• SAP Managed Tags: