cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPNote 689818 - High Paging in Windows

Former Member
0 Kudos

I frequently observe high paging in 'st06 - detail analysis - Memory' on Oracle 11g Windows 2008 systems. The lowest Mimimum Free RAM is 3GB with an average of 4GB free. SAPNote 689818 explains that Windows cannot differnetiate between disk IO and paging and further explains that IO during backups may be reported as high paging. This explains the high page rates reported during my backups but I also see high paging during normal operations. On an AIX based system I would only expect to see high paging if RAM was low or exhausted, but as explained above there is no shorage of RAM.

I am wondering if other BW processing such as BEX analyser or WEB reports may be getting reported as Page for the same reasons described above. Do any Windows Gurus have views on this? Should I be asking for more RAM?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

regarding the common observation of high paging during running of operations like the SAP backups , please see the following note outlining the reasons for the same

1416152 - High paging rates for backup in Windows Server 2003 and 2008

Thanks

Rishi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

What is the system configuration and how the resources are distributed?

Did you check the average utilization of resources over the period? In general terms paging indicates the additional memory requirement!

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your comments. My minimum free RAM is 3GB the average would be about 4GB. On this particular BW system I have 16GB available. By virtue of always having free RAM I cannot see how I should need more. My question is more about whether ST06 on windows is viewing IO activites that are other than page and reporting them as page (because windows cannot differentiate types of IO). In my AIX systems RAM is usually exhausted before paging takes place.

Best regards

Mark