cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View EFFECTIVE_ROLES & PRIVILEGES disappear from SYS View Catalog

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our Hana DB Server is Revision 35 at the moment.  I was planning to bring it to revision 70. All of a sudden security stopped working for SYSTEM user after checking further i see that is because some views are missing from SYS schema catalog. Not sure what caused this. Only upgraded SUM tool and deployed HLM tool for the purpose of upgrade. Role view exists Effective_privileges view exist but the other 2 are not visible as SYSTEM or any other admin user.  I could not find any relevant log but is quite strange,

!MESSAGE Could not get privileges for repository objects

!STACK 0

com.sap.db.jdbc.exceptions.JDBCDriverException: SAP DBTech JDBC: [259] (at 21): invalid table name:  Could not find table/view PRIVILEGES in schema SYS: line 1 col 22 (at pos 21)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionSapDB.createException(SQLExceptionSapDB.java:334)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionSapDB.generateDatabaseException(SQLExceptionSapDB.java:165)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.packet.ReplyPacket.buildExceptionChain(ReplyPacket.java:100)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.ConnectionSapDB.execute(ConnectionSapDB.java:1141)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.ConnectionSapDB.execute(ConnectionSapDB.java:888)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.StatementSapDB.sendCommand(StatementSapDB.java:929)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.StatementSapDB.sendSQL(StatementSapDB.java:978)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.StatementSapDB.execute(StatementSapDB.java:256)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.StatementSapDB.executeQuery(StatementSapDB.java:401)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.trace.Statement.executeQuery(Statement.java:131)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.authorization.internal.AvailableSystemPrivileges$1.call(AvailableSystemPrivileges.java:41)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.authorization.internal.AvailableSystemPrivileges$1.call(AvailableSystemPrivileges.java:1)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Could not reload role ABAP_ADMIN. Role ABAP_ADMIN does not exist

com.sap.db.jdbc.exceptions.JDBCDriverException: SAP DBTech JDBC: [259]: invalid table name:  Could not find table/view EFFECTIVE_ROLES in schema SYS:

Has any one seen this type of error before. Any advise on which logs could provide more insight. I have raised an SAP incident.

Regards

Rahul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response. I have not yet done the upgrade i was just planning to upgrade from 35 to 70. In preparation i upgraded SUM first and then realized HLM is the tool effective SPS06, so i deployed this maually.

Also is any SAP note which provided upgrade path for HDB upgrades with info that you can/cannot directly upgrade from source revision A to target revision B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can see the issue now. Below is my understanding so far.

The problem was with HDB studio version. I have another HDB running on revision 70, for which i had recently updated my local studio to revision 70 as well.

This HDB is still on .35 and studio version 70 seems to perform checks on tables which are not part of revision .35.

I installed HDB studio version 60 on another w/s. I can create users, assign roles with SYSTEM user. The views (Roles & Effective_Privileges) are still not there but i am not getting any errors.

I am waiting on SAP to understand if is ok to perform an HDB upgrade (.35 to 70)  with HLM & Local Studio on 70.

Regards

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are on Rev.35 = SPS04, so I would suggest you patch to Rev.60 then Rev.70.

Make sure you take a backup first!

Here is the master update guide for SPS05: https://websmp105.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000604942011

And for SPS07: http://help.sap.com/hana/SAP_HANA_Master_Update_Guide_en.pdf

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Get SAP or a HANA expert involved. As a rule of thumb you should only jump one SP in one go. Rev.35 is a very old version.

John