cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange SAP behavior in Creating Sales Return Order

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone ,

So recently i created a return order with document type RE (standard SAP) without any reference

Strangely that document failed when doing testing for the return process .

in short terms SAP is allowing me to create a return order for a material that was created few minutes ago ,

by that business logic what i am doing should not be allowed on the system since i am returning a material that was never even sold , or  procured in my business .

Am i missing something here or is just SAP bad logic ?

how can i control that process for sales return order , because obviously it has GAP`s that needs to maintained and we cant deliver that process to our client, specially when doing negative testing it will make the system looks like a B grade system

any clarifications is welcome guys

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

phanikumar_v3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Very Good discussion--fortunate that i am becoming the part.

While coming --yes you can control this behaviour of creating No.of return deliveries for one sales order.

If you go to Delivery document type-0VLP--for your item category--Go to Quantity tab--and here you can control based on the settings in ""Check over delivery"" field.

If you keep B-Situation rejected with error message--we can control over deliveries.

It will work as per my knowledge--Let me know if any.

Phanikumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, this will work - thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Phani

I  agree to your point at delivery level .We are also convert the warning message in to error in OVAH for message number Message no. V4229 so if user is creating return Order more than Reference invoice quantity system throws an error .I  have attached the screen shot for a better visibility .

Regards

Santosh Verma

phanikumar_v3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes--we can do in this way too....

thanks for sharing one more way to see differently in satisfying customers need...

Phanikumar

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK guys ,

Thank you all for the valuable answers.

i decided to recheck the work on the development system  and apparently there was no copy control for order Type RE which was strange since its a SAP document and not user defined ,

I opened the IDES server and used all that configuration data to insure SAP standards applied and moved them to my environment

and then re-tested the business scenario , which i can say makes more sense now .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi  Alex

Hope your question is answered.Please close the thread .

Regards

Santosh Verma 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Santosh Verma

no its actually not answered yet

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alexy,

Let me discuss about (your) points from a business perspective -

1. Material returned by the customer -

When customer is not satisfied with the goods, then it would want to return the goods and get back its money. Before creating a return order, the company staff check if the goods were indeed sold by them.

If the company verifies that the goods were sold by them, then it should be possible to create a (return) order in SAP.

This verification is more important than if the sale was registered in SAP (for which return order is being created)

2. Quantity being returned -

Creating an order for 1 QTY and then a delivery for 50,000 QTY is illogical!

Why would a business user do that!!

When creating a return delivery, it should "comply" with the details in the (initially created) order.

3. ERP is a tool -

SAP is just a tool which is handled by users. So users should be proficient enough to handle the system (like any other system) correctly!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexy,

A return order is a standard sales document which allows any material regardless the time the creation or if this material has ever been sold or purchased. If you want to limit return orders to materials which already have been sold, you need to make the reference to a source document mandatory (VOV8, field 'Reference mandatory'). Here, SAP let's you select the type of source document (sales order, invoice etc.). With this setup, the user will be obliged to enter a source document when creating a return order.

If this is not sufficient, there is always ABAP - probably user exit USEREXIT_MOVE_FIELD_TO_VBAP in MV45AFZZ. This userexit is triggered when entering a material - here you can have coded any specific checks applicable to your requirements. Check it out with your ABAPer.

Bernhard

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks a lot Bernhard ,

with me controlling the reference is a good choice , i am  wondering if there is more solutions to control the QTY flow, because apparently the order RE can be for 1 Qty and the delivery LR with goods receipt can be for 500000 Qty

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alexy,

This is not a correct statement. SAP will not let you enter a higher quantity in return delivery LR than in return order RE (item category REN - error message VL871: 'Actual delivery quantity exceeds the returns order quantity for item').

And: Even though you can create multiple return deliveries for one given return order item, SAP will check if there is enough quantity on the return order left to be received.

Bernhard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi  Bernhard Ainetter,

""And: Even though you can create multiple return deliveries for one given return order item, SAP will check if there is enough quantity on the return order left to be received.""""

how system determines this ? is this Item Cat REN " Completion Rule"?

Could you please share this with us ?

Regards

Santosh Verma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

To my knowledge this behavior between the sales document and the delivery is not something you can configure and it is probably hardcoded - you can run a debug to find out (I invite anyone to jump in who knows better).

You are referring to the completion rule which only refers to contracts and quotations. It lets you configure when the item in the source document should be considered as completed.

Thanks

Bernhard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bernhard ,

i am not getting this message VL871 , i believe that this not a standard behavior in SAP as i am using SAP standard types of item categories and document types.

i have retested the process again and created a return order for one piece and then created a delivery for 5000 pieces and then post it the GR without even a warning message from SAP.

any idea how to stop this , its driving me crazy

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ideally, return order should be created with reference to a billing document.  Hence, just set "M" against the field "Reference mandatory" in VOV8 for that order type.  By doing so, return order cannot be created directly.

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks
i was wondering how SAP designed that function to be so loose , can i make that reference only for billing document only  and not other documents. also how can i control the QTY between the RE order type and LR delivery type , i know that question was asked here a lot if times , but no real specific answers were given. just bear in mind that i use batches also so the system should only accept the batch that was generated for that specific material  in the first place.