cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeneous System Copy with Oracle backup/restore method

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a new requirement to perform System Copy.

Scenario:

Will be a Homogeneous System Copy with Oracle backup/restore method.

Source system details:

Database: Oracle 11.2.0.2

File System Details: In source sapdata files are spread across different mount points (/oracle/SSID/sapdata1 ... to ... /oracle/SSID/sapdata8)

Target System details:

Database: Oracle 11.2.0.3 (As we are going to install SAP in updated OS we have to use Oracle 11.2.0.3)

File System Details: In target system sapdata will be placed in four different mount points (/oracle/TSID/sapdata1 .... to .... /oracle/TSID/sapdata4)

Question:

1. Is it possible to do system copy with small patch oracle level change between source (11.2.0.2) & target (11.2.0.3) ?

2. Will it be possible to reduce/consolidate sapdata file numbers from 8 to 4?

or

3. Will it be possible to distribute 8 sapdata files within four File system mount points in target ?

Please provide your valuable suggestions..

Thanks & Regrads

Rajat

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rajat

As regards the possibility of doing a homogenous system copy using backup restore across Oracle DB with different patch levels ( albeit same DB version ) , I think  it is not possible as the requirements for a system copy is tat the patch levels of the software should also be the same level.

Please see the below thread containing a similar issue description.

Regarding the other queries like sapdata re-arrangements , all these are possible - but initially you need to have the same sapdata structure in the QA Target system ( as the source system )  as the backup control file from the PROD environment will be used for the restore operation.

Thanks

Rishi

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Like I said before you can restore the database from a different patch level.

After the restore you need to perform an upgrade to the target patch level.

I have done it various times and it works.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikunj/Rishi,

Its is easy to say no... as per SAP recommendation.

But, if we can twist & trick in the approach in different way then it will be possible. I am just looking for the probable/best alternative approach.

Hi RB,

Sorry I don't have access to Oracle Metalink. Can you please let me know the steps which we can follow.

One more point to consider our destination OS in RHEL6.4 in that case will it be possible to install Oracle 11.2.0.2.

I already checked in PAM and it says At least Oracle Patchset 11.2.0.3 required. for RHEL6

Please let me know...

Regards

RM

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Check this link

Once you have restored and recovered the database you can follow the below link from step 7

How To Restore 10g RMAN Backup to 11g? | Talip Hakan Ozturk's ORACLE BLOG

There are other references as well which are confirming this.

alter database open resetlogs upgrade ; &n... | Oracle Forums

I have done this from 10.2.0.4 to 10.2.0.5 and it worked well and I am sure it works with the 11G release as well.

Here is what Oracle says as well:

Note: DBUA can be used only if the source & target Oracle homes are on the same Server.

But manual upgrade will work even if the source and target Home are on different servers provided that the Hardware architecture and operating system on source and target Home are the same.

Example :

- You cannot manually upgrade a database from an AIX Operating System to Solaris Operating System.

- You cannot manually upgrade a database from a Solaris X86-64 Machine to Solaris SPARC 64-bit.

Regarding the Oracle version on RHEL6.4 you will need 11.2.0.3.

1431800 - Oracle 11.2.0: Central Technical Note

1496410 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x: Installation and Upgrade

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rajat Mandal,

> 2. Will it be possible to reduce/consolidate sapdata file numbers from 8 to 4? - NO

As you are restoring database hence any how its not possible to reduce sapdata files.

Regards,

Nikunj Thaker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RB,

Currently I am doing ECC Sandbox migration. After successful DB restore & recovery on Oracle 11202, I have installed oracle 11203 and started the DBUA & during Upgrading oracle server phase it is giving error ORA-01950: no privilages on tablespace 'HBC_USERS'.

tail trace.log

[Thread-50] [ 2014-02-01 03:58:03.352 EST ] [OracleHome.getVersion:889]  OracleHome.getVersion called.  Current Version: 11.2.0.3.0

[Thread-50] [ 2014-02-01 03:58:03.352 EST ] [OracleHome.getVersion:957]  Current Version From Inventory: 11.2.0.3.0

[Thread-50] [ 2014-02-01 03:58:03.352 EST ] [SQLEngine.getEnvParams:565]  NLS_LANG: AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8

[Thread-50] [ 2014-02-01 03:58:03.353 EST ] [SQLEngine.initialize:325]  Execing SQLPLUS/SVRMGR process...

[Thread-50] [ 2014-02-01 03:58:03.364 EST ] [SQLEngine.initialize:362]  m_bReaderStarted: false

[Thread-50] [ 2014-02-01 03:58:03.365 EST ] [SQLEngine.initialize:366]  Starting Reader Thread...

[Thread-50] [ 2014-02-01 03:58:03.367 EST ] [SQLEngine.initialize:415]  Waiting for m_bReaderStarted to be true

[Thread-66] [ 2014-02-01 04:02:57.255 EST ] [BasicStep.handleNonIgnorableError:430]  oracle.sysman.assistants.util.UIMessageHandler@1b78efd8:messageHandler

[Thread-66] [ 2014-02-01 04:02:57.256 EST ] [BasicStep.handleNonIgnorableError:431]  ORA-01950: no privileges on tablespace 'HBC_USERS'

It seems I have to check the user access for corresponding tablespace.

Now my doubt is can I cancel or Abort the DBUA and do the correction and start DBAU again?

Please advice.

Regards

RM

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Rajat

I have never seen this ORA- error during an upgrade.

Not sure what the tablespace HBC_USERS is used for.

Most probably a custom tablepsace.

Regards

RB

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

1. Is it possible to do system copy with small patch oracle level change between source (11.2.0.2) & target (11.2.0.3) ?

As the source and target Oracle patch levels are different you will need to upgrade the database to patch level 11.2.0.3 after the restore.

2. Will it be possible to reduce/consolidate sapdata file numbers from 8 to 4?

Yes, it is possible.

If you want to reduce the number of sapdata file systems from 8 to 4 then you may do that after the restore. You will need to move all the data files present in the other file systems.

Refer to this article.

ORACLE-BASE - Renaming or Moving Oracle Files

or

3. Will it be possible to distribute 8 sapdata files within four File system mount points in target ?

I suggest to keep the layout of the sapdata file system on the target system like it is on the source system.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RB,

Point 1:

As per my understanding need to start target system installation with Oracle 11.2.0.2 and after restore need to upgrade the database patch level 11.2.0.3 and then continue with DB recovery and rest of the SAPinst steps.

will recovery be successfull after oracle upgrade?

OR

Install target system with Oracle 11.2.0.2 then after restore & recover, need to upgrade the database to patch level 11.2.0.3 and continue with rest of the SAPinst steps

Please let me know which step you are referring?

As this is a minor patch level change will it be possible to normal system copy backup/restore procedure?

Regards

RM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajat

As per below comments from RB ,  you can restore the DB into the Target System.  Once the DB restore is completed , then it will be at source level ( 11.2.0.2 ) .

After that , you need to apply the patch again in the target to make it 11.2.0.3 ..

We assume that you are using the Oracle backup and restore method.

Thanks

Rishi

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

An Oracle database upgrade involves installation of the Oracle software installation and the database upgrade.

You need to install the database software 11.2.0.3

Restore the database.

Upgrade the database.

Here is what Oracle says:

2) Can I restore or duplicate between two different patchset levels?

As you can restore between different Oracle version, you can also do so between two different patchset levels. See question #1 for details.

Note, you must follow the instructions in the appropriate readme file. If resetlogs is required, you can execute:

SQL> alter database open resetlogs upgrade;

OR

SQL> alter database open resetlogs downgrade;

As needed before executing the required scripts to either upgrade or downgrade to a patch level.

If you have access to Oracle Metalink then you may read this document from Oracle as it answers all your questions.

Frequently Asked Questions about Restoring Or Duplicating Between Different Versions And Platforms (...

Good Luck

RB