cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database connection error: SQL error 2- OCI returned error while connecting to an external oracle db

former_member822355
Participant
0 Kudos

We must connect our SAP production system to an external oracle database that has the following characteristics: PARAMETER -------------------------------------------------- -------------- VALUE -------------------------------------------------- -------------- NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8ISO8859P15 ***************** We have configured the connection with the TCODE DB02 and we get the following connection error: "Errore -- ERROR Database connection "MAGIAP": SQL error 12737 ORA- 12737: Instant Client Light: unsupported server character set WE8ISO8859P15" We applied the following SAP notes: 808505 - Secondary connections to Oracle database 998004 - Update the Oracle Instant Client on Windows After applying this notes we reconfigured the connection parameters (tcode DB02) as follows: connection parameter: "SFA.DBSFA.risogallo.it:WE8ISO8859P15" we now have this connection error: -- ERROR Database connection MAGIAP: SQL error 2- OCI returned error code -2.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Silvana

From your details above , I assume that you are connecting to the database using tnsnames.ora

From your SAP system , can you test tnsping to the remote Oracle DB. 

tnsping MAGIAP

As I understand ,  you have upgraded your oracle instant  - after that you can use the connection as MGIAP  as you were doing earlier.

Please correct me if I did not assume something correctly.

Thanks

Rishi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also from the initial part of the error description , it looks like that the issue is with the Oracle instant client light present on the SAP System as it might not support the mentioned character-set of the remote system.

Please try as per previous comment - and let us know.  You might want to upgrade the oracle client to the Oracle Instant Client Full and then try ..

Thanks

Rishi

former_member822355
Participant
0 Kudos

Magiap is the connection name, tns is sfa.dba.risogallo.it... I have just tried to tnsping sfa.dbsfa.risogallo.it .. what else could I check?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you please share the output of the TNSPING  to the connection sfa.dbsfa.risogallo.it

Also please share the tnsnames entry and the output from the above DB Connection.

Thanks

Rishi

former_member822355
Participant
0 Kudos
former_member822355
Participant
0 Kudos
former_member822355
Participant
0 Kudos

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

Can you share the tnsnames.ora file ?

Regards

RB

former_member822355
Participant
0 Kudos
former_member822355
Participant
0 Kudos

I have attached some informations... Tell me please if they area enough for your answer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Silvana

Thanks for your screen shots ..

from your SAP System -  are you able to normally logon to the Oracle Database using SQLPLUS utility from the command prompt.

Thanks

Rishi